Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Oh shit, what are we gonna do now?

Postby Mongrel » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:56 am

Joxam wrote:3rd if you believe Avenatti's twitter.

I heard about that. Is that include the earlier retracted one or a new one (in which case it would technically be the fourth)?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:23 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:10 pm

NBC: Another allegation of sexual assault by Kavanaugh

According to an anonymous complaint sent to Republican Sen. Cory Gardner of Colorado, Kavanaugh physically assaulted a woman he socialized with in the Washington, D.C., area in 1998 while he was inebriated.

The sender of the complaint described an evening involving her own daughter, Kavanaugh and several friends in 1998.

“When they left the bar (under the influence of alcohol) they were all shocked when Brett Kavanaugh, shoved her friend up against the wall very aggressively and sexually.”

“There were at least four witnesses including my daughter.” The writer of the letter provided no names but said the alleged victim was still traumatized and had decided to remain anonymous herself.

and ANOTHER:

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:35 am

Couple of good articles on Rachel Mitchell, the Arizona prosecutor who Senate Republicans have tapped to question Ford tomorrow:

Former Maricopa County Attorney On Rachel Mitchell: I Would Have Advised Her Not To Do This

How did Arizona's Rachel Mitchell end up at center of Brett Kavanaugh hearing?

I don't know anything about Rachel Mitchell, but both those articles indicate that she's respected, has integrity, and is generally on the same side as victims of sexual assault, not the opposing side. Which...makes her selection a little baffling, really.

The "former Maricopa County Attorney" referenced in that first headline is Rick Romley. You might remember him from my very short list of Arizona Republicans I respect. If Romley says Mitchell is honest, then I'm inclined to sit up and listen.

But, as the headline says, Romley says he would have advised her not to take this job; he's well aware that the GOP doesn't want her to get to the truth, it wants her to discredit Ford.

I don't know what Mitchell's going to do in this situation. We'll know tomorrow. I'd love to think that this will blow up in the GOP's face and they've enlisted somebody who will actually undermine their case -- but I'm not going to count on that.

One thing I have seen floating around: "Mitchell is part of Joe Arpaio's operation." This talking point appears to have originated with Jennifer Rubin, and her evidence for same appears to begin and end with "They're both from Maricopa County."

As a Maricopa County native: Hey, Jennifer Rubin. Fuck you.

As someone who has read columns written by Jennifer Rubin: Hey, Jennifer Rubin. Fuck you.

I've seen no actual evidence that Mitchell is an Arpaio crony. That doesn't mean she'll do the right thing tomorrow. I'm not going to attempt any predictions. But the accounts I've seen so far -- the accounts from people who actually know her, not token Republicans at the Washington Post who have drawn conclusions based on her residence in a particular 9200-square-mile area of land -- indicate that she's a straight shooter. I hope that proves to be the case.

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:00 pm

What do people think of Prester Jane's theorising that the CiC is an actual p-zombie, a human mind so deeply traumatised that there's literally no-one at home? http://prestersperspective.blogspot.com ... -mind.html

François

Postby François » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:06 am

By all accounts I've read, his father was a colossal piece of shit, so it does seem like a plausible theory at least. I'm not sure how I feel about how much it divests him of responsibility for his behavior, but it's not like there isn't plenty of blame to go around for all the sundry enablers around him who know exactly what they're doing.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:13 am

mharr wrote:What do people think of Prester Jane's theorising that the CiC is an actual p-zombie, a human mind so deeply traumatised that there's literally no-one at home? http://prestersperspective.blogspot.com ... -mind.html

I would suggest negligence is as much part of it as trauma. Children grow a superego when they are called to attention on the effects of their actions, even if it's as much as a spilled glass of milk.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Actual headline seen in today's Globe:

"‘We fell in love’: Trump swoons over letters from Kim Jong-un"

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:53 pm

I would like for Mongrel's sig to start getting less relevant over time please.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:29 pm

Colbert had a good one during the Dr Ford testimony.

"All she needed was coffee? I was just watching, and I needed a venti Xanax."
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:17 pm

omg xD

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:41 pm

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:33 pm

thank the gods for him that's the one twitter is okay with

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:50 am

NYT: When Trump Phones Friends, the Chinese and the Russians Listen and Learn

China’s effort is a 21st-century version of what officials there have been doing for many decades, which is trying to influence American leaders by cultivating an informal network of prominent businesspeople and academics who can be sold on ideas and policy prescriptions and then carry them to the White House. The difference now is that China, through its eavesdropping on Mr. Trump’s calls, has a far clearer idea of who carries the most influence with the president, and what arguments tend to work.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:55 am

From the same article:
They said they had further confidence he was not spilling secrets because he rarely digs into the details of the intelligence he is shown and is not well versed in the operational specifics of military or covert activities.

silver linings lol

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:28 pm

I think we're well aware that the TLA immune system is on full alert and doing whatever they can to minimise his effective access to information and control. The horrifying part is that a significant population still believes he's a genius everyman and cannot be dissuaded by any of this.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:51 pm

We are kind of at the point now where I consider it a fair chance that every other world power will tear each other apart because of the bullshit Trump causes, and he'll just be standing on the wreckage like the Mule from Foundation.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:52 pm

Just another reminder that Twitter is garbage!