Bogus, batshit, banal, bizarre, or bicubic: Assorted News

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Bogus, batshit, banal, bizarre, or bicubic: Assorted News

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:58 am

Friday wrote:Isn't one of the comorbidities of fascism Trumpy Bear?

Now imagining some obscure branch of the SS trying to market plush Hitlers midwar.

Though the Blackshirts might've had more success with a plump Musso.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:50 pm

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:22 pm

so he's slightly more competent with computers than US lawmakers
ImageImageImage

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:06 am

Fuck's sake, those guys are our backup copy in case we manage to kill ourselves in a way that leaves the planet standing. Trying to missionary there is the religious equivalent of the BBC taping over The Power of the Daleks.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:04 am

mharr wrote:Fuck's sake, those guys are our backup copy in case we manage to kill ourselves in a way that leaves the planet standing. Trying to missionary there is the religious equivalent of the BBC taping over The Power of the Daleks.

Also, fucking... It's illegal to make contact with them, they've killed everyone that's attempted to make contact... What makes anyone think this is a good idea?

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:17 am

RELIGION
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:17 am

wait, sorry, one second
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:18 am

RELIGION
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:56 am

Friday wrote:GUILD

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:25 am

Another little detail on that story, the main reason that tribe is hostile is that last time white guys visited the diseases decimated their population, so Buddy Christ there might have finished them off postmortem.

Also it's a popular interpretation of Christian theology that you can't actually go to Hell for 'denying' God if you die innocent having never heard of the guy, so if you find someone in that state maybe shut up and leave them alone, you monster.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:33 am

If you have heard the Good Word you're beholden to spread it as much as possible, so in effect it's a kind of spiritually corrupting viral meme. You know, like Goatse.cx.

Romosome

Postby Romosome » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:29 pm

mharr wrote:Another little detail on that story, the main reason that tribe is hostile is that last time white guys visited the diseases decimated their population, so Buddy Christ there might have finished them off postmortem.

Also it's a popular interpretation of Christian theology that you can't actually go to Hell for 'denying' God if you die innocent having never heard of the guy, so if you find someone in that state maybe shut up and leave them alone, you monster.

Well Timmy, that's a very Catholic interpretation of theology that doesn't apply to most fundamentalists.

What Brentai said is especially right. I looked up the organization this guy was a part of, All Nations, and it appears to be a multi-level marketing scheme for spreading...something. It's remarkably hard to find their actual values and beliefs and denominations on the site, but they want the entire world to convert to their version of Christianity. There's no indication they're even a nonprofit. But yeah, their entire operation is just set up to send people to far off remote places to try and convert the people and then exploit them to convert more people. Big surprise. Hey, they're helping "relocate" muslim refugees! I'm sure that's nice!

As for the guy who paid to go to the forbidden island where the natives kill you, not expecting to be killed, my dad expressed similar disbelief: What is wrong with these people who go out of their way to travel to very dangerous locations, seemingly without a care before the worst happens? He wondered if they were adrenaline junkies...but you don't need to fly across the world to be an adrenaline junkie, you can do local things like base jump off whatever's nearby. I thought about it, and reasoned that poor people don't go jetsetting around the world to preach to uncontacted tribes or get chummy with North Korean government officials. If you're traveling around the world, you have money and relative privilege. You're not working two jobs just to make ends meet, you can afford both the cost and time. Based on the little I've seen of other people who went to very dangerous places full of warnings and then got killed, they tend to be the opposite of an adrenaline junkie. They are people who have lived in a complete cocoon of privilege, and I say this as someone who practically got the same treatment for much of my life. They have gotten everything they've ever wanted or needed without strife. I'm not saying that these people should've been beaten by their parents or anything but they just...have no concept of consequence. I think they don't think it can happen to them. They believe they're special, and wonderful, and if they just keep believing hard in themselves they can do anything no matter what!

Until life shoots them in the face.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:32 pm

It's 2018 and the bad guys are more willing to die for their cause than the good guys are.

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:20 pm

Romosome wrote:to go to the forbidden island where the natives kill you, not expecting to be killed

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:37 pm

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:32 pm

Friday wrote:RELIGION

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:48 pm

Oh my god, I had completely forgotten about those.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:36 pm

Brentai wrote:If you have heard the Good Word you're beholden to spread it as much as possible, so in effect it's a kind of spiritually corrupting viral meme. You know, like Goatse.cx.

Right, it's a central tenant of evangelism that you need to, well, evangelize. It's not enough to live according to the moral principles of your faith; you're morally obligated to make sure everybody else does, too. To save them.

Romosome wrote:Based on the little I've seen of other people who went to very dangerous places full of warnings and then got killed, they tend to be the opposite of an adrenaline junkie. They are people who have lived in a complete cocoon of privilege, and I say this as someone who practically got the same treatment for much of my life. They have gotten everything they've ever wanted or needed without strife. I'm not saying that these people should've been beaten by their parents or anything but they just...have no concept of consequence. I think they don't think it can happen to them. They believe they're special, and wonderful, and if they just keep believing hard in themselves they can do anything no matter what!

And on top of all that, they believe God's got their back.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:17 pm

Thad wrote:
Brentai wrote:If you have heard the Good Word you're beholden to spread it as much as possible, so in effect it's a kind of spiritually corrupting viral meme. You know, like Goatse.cx.

Right, it's a central tenant of evangelism that you need to, well, evangelize. It's not enough to live according to the moral principles of your faith; you're morally obligated to make sure everybody else does, too. To save them.

*tenet