Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nosimpleway

Re: Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 08, 2014 9:20 pm

Jowy: Well, please take care of Pilika.
Leona: Leave it to me. But you'd better hurry. You don't want to keep that guy waiting.

Music: Silent Room

Official: Y...yes. Immediately. As usual Lady Annabelle, your judgment is beyond reproach...
Anabelle: I don't need your brown-nosing. Leave now. I've no time for people whose mouths are faster than their feet.
Official: Y, yes!
Anabelle: Whew. Oh? You came, Viktor.
Viktor: I've seen you at work a hundred times, but you still surprise me.
Anabelle: So is it true? I heard you lost your fort.
Viktor: Yeah. Lost a lot more too.
Anabelle: Well.... It didn't take them long to break the peace treaty..... This Luca Blight is a true beast. I'm afraid this war won't end until either the State or the Highland Kingdom is in ruins.
Viktor: He's insane. He's a wolf raised on the smell of fire and the taste of blood. He can't be trusted.
Anabelle: So what brings you here? I see you've got 3 children along with you....
Viktor: Yeah.... This one is Muteiu, this is Jowy, and this little tomboy is....
Nanami: Nanami!!!!!

Viktor: Yeah, yeah...... Nanami. It's these kids plus another little one named Pilika. Can you take 4 more? I'd keep them with me, but you never now when war will call.....
Anabelle: Yeah, you can't take kids into battle with you....... .....but......... Jowy...... Jowy Atreides?
Jowy: How do you know my name?
Anabelle: There's a country nobleman in Kyaro with a son by that name. Isn't that right, Jess?

Jess also has a portrait, so he must be important too. (Spoiler: He is not significantly more important than Pohl.)

Anabelle: And you..... Muteiu and Nanami..... Muteiu...... was your adopted father named Genkaku?
Viktor: Huh!
Nanami: What? How did you know??? How do you know about Grandpa Genkaku????
Anabelle: I heard that Master Genkaku adopted two children..... I think their names were Muteiu and Nanami......
Nanami: 'Master'...Genkaku???
Viktor: You don't mean... that.....
Anabelle: Viktor..... I'll tell them all about it. Until then.... Muteiu, Nanami, is Master Genkaku in good health?
Nanami: Grandpa Genkaku.... died last year.....
Anabelle: I see........ So we weren't able to atone for our crimes against him.... Yes well..... Let's talk about that when we have more time. Right now I've got to worry about the Highland Army. Jess, I'm leaving these 3 in your care.
Jess: Yes, My Lady. Understood.
Viktor: See ya later. Maybe I'll drop in on you soon.
Anabelle: I'll be looking forward to it.

Viktor says we can come back to the tavern, which is something I really should have done when he said to, but eh. Jess gives us freedom to look around as long as we don't bother Anabelle any more.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 08, 2014 9:46 pm

Jess: What are you talking about? These are for Youth Brigade uniforms. What can we do with these...
Nanami: What is it?
Jess: ..................... Muteiu, Jowy. I have a request. Will you listen?
Jowy: What is it...?
Jess: Luca Blight's army is camped out near the border between Muse and Highland. They'll attack us here in Muse next. I'd like to know how much provisions they have with them.... We've got some Youth Brigade uniforms to help you sneak in..... Muteiu, Jowy, you were in the Youth Brigade, right? We don't have any other uniforms, so would you do it for us?
Jowy: So you want us to sneak into the Highland Army camp and find out how much provisions they have..... Is that right?
Nanami: Whaaat?? Couldn't that be dangerous????
Jess: Well, umm... a little.... But it would be a big help for Muse. We could find out how much provisions they have. That will tell us whether they're planning a long siege or a quick all out attack.

...do you really think Luca Blight has the patience for a long siege?

Jowy: .................. What about it, Muteiu?

Might as well get this over with. There's more :words: but I've transcribed enough of the script already, right? We drop Pilika off at Leona's, pick up Humphrey and Futch and Shiro to round out our party, and head out for the Highland side of the border.

But...!

She gives us Sound Set #1! Something we can do absolutely nothing with.

Just in case you were under any impression that Elza was actually friendly, she uses Muteiu as a human shield as she fires on Clive with the two pistols we've been carrying around for her.

Clive dodges the shot, Elza runs off, Clive follows, Muteiu is left nursing the ringing in his ears from having two guns fired from either side of his head.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 08, 2014 9:51 pm

It's a short jog through the woods.

Jowy: Okay, we have to change into our uniforms now, so....
Nanami: .....................??
Jowy: Umm.... could you look the other way?

Doh ho ho ho ho

What could possibly go wrong?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 10, 2014 9:24 am

Caught already? You guys are the worst spies ever.

Jowy: Uh oh.....
Highland Soldier: Those are Youth Brigade uniforms... What are you doing here?
Jowy: Well you see..... that is.... We.... we were in the Unicorn Brigade. The State soldiers ambushed us and everyone...... We managed to survive, but the rest of the troop....
Highland Soldier: Is that right...... You kids are very brave. Those State bastards!!!! They're pure evil!!! Don't worry though! We'll take revenge on them for what they did to you boys!!!
Jowy: Thank you. Umm... our captain told us to come here and get some butter...
Highland Soldier: Huh? Really? Okay, follow me.

Everything went better than expected!

Busted! This is a disaster!

Everything went better than expected!

Right, let's deuce out.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 10, 2014 9:31 am

Well uh we were in the Unicorn Brigade and the State killed everybody and we got transferred here and we have to get some butter!

He's not buying it why isn't he buying it?!

Before you run off, snag the Fire Sealing rune in the chest that's been tempting you through all these sequences that have people automatically move around. It reduces all damage from fire-elemental attacks to 0. If you're going to use Zamza, it's a good investment for his second rune slot. (His signature Fire Dragon rune deals double damage to an enemy, and half of that damage back to Zamza, but the backfire is also fire-elemental and gets nulled by Fire Sealing.)

(And now I've said "fire" so many times it hardly seems like a real word anymore. But anyway!)

Once the intruder alert went out, the exits are sealed. And since this is an RPG where tree trunks grow so close together there's no slipping through those, we'd better hide.

Only one tent looks fancy enough to not have any soldiers inside...

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 10, 2014 9:35 am

A moment later...

Rowd: Two State spies have infiltrated the camp. Forgive me, but I'd like you to allow me to search this tent....
Jillia: That's not necessary. Please leave.
Rowd: I assure you it won't take a moment....
Jillia: Thank you anyway, soldier. I wish to be alone.
Rowd: B... but if by some chance....
Jillia: I am asking you to leave. Or do you wish to disturb a lady's private chambers?
Rowd: Ah... n, no, my Lady..... It's not that at all..... Plea... please forgive me for disturbing your rest, princess.

Wow, Jowy, rude.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 10, 2014 9:54 am

Jillia: I remember you said something like 'This country has betrayed us. I won't forgive them....' So? How is it now? You still haven't forgiven us?
Jowy: Well..........
Muteiu: I will.... someday I know I will.
Jillia: Good.....
Jowy: Jillia........ No.... Princess. What are you doing in this place?
Jillia: My brother........ Luca Blight, do you know him?
Muteiu: .....He's a fiendish monster.
Jowy: Muteiu!

I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Jillia: No....... He may be exactly right.... I'm his little sister and sometimes even I don't understand him. My brother is trying to expand this war. Even though most of the people of Highland tired of it.... Also.... my brother is considering something truly evil.... Up until now, I've always thought somehow I could stop him, but.... It looks impossible now... He would never listen to me.... To my brother, I'm just like an 'enemy'.... It looks like I don't have the power to stop my brother. I've begun to realize that... As a princess and a woman, I'm limited in what I can do.... I'm sorry to have spoken for so long. The tea has gotten cold.... Things have quieted down outside. Perhaps you'd like to leave now?
Muteiu: The tea was delicious.
Jillia: Farewell. I do not think we will meet again.......
Jowy: ...........Thank you.

Yeah, I don't see us running into each other again. You're the royal family on the opposing side of a war, so probably the only time we'll meet is if we overrun your capital and kill everyone you know and love. That's how it goes sometimes, huh?

Anyway, we're outta here.

Well, yeah, she does keep trying to stop him from slaughtering people and whatever big evil thing he's planning next. She told us as much.

Rowd: So I kept on the lookout, and who pops up but you guys. Get ready, State spies!

As usual, the Highland soldiers are no match for Muteiu and Jowy's combined martial arts.

Jowy: I want you to run. If they get both of us here, Nanami, who's waiting for us, might be in trouble too.
Muteiu: I can't do that.
Jowy: We don't have time to argue! Hurry!!!
Rowd: What are you doing!

Jowy. Jowy! We're level forty-seven. We hardly break a sweat fighting off these mooks, and we could have done it over 100 times before if we didn't get bored and decide to jump off a cliff instead. And now we have two parts of one of the 27 True Runes, cornerstones of the entire universe, strapped onto our hands. Your staff and Sword, my tonfa and Shield, you, me, we stop the entire Highland army right here, right now. Whaddya say?

...siiigh...

Rowd: Oh, trying to buy some time so your friends can get away? That's very sweet, but it's meaningless.
Jowy: Shut your mouth!!! Saving my two friends has plenty of meaning for me!!
Rowd: Empty talk! We'll capture you and your little friend Muteiu too.
Jowy: Oh, Black Sword Rune. If you really are one of the 'true runes'...... Then grant me the power that I need......

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 10, 2014 9:58 am

Nanami takes some convincing to leave.

That we're being pursued helps make the argument (although again, in game terms we could stop the advancing Highland army right here).

Well, maybe he'll catch up on the way back to Muse.

Huh.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 10, 2014 10:12 am

Figures.

Flik: Muteiu. You okay? Leona told us what was going on. We've been very worried.
Nanami: Y..yeah, I'm okay. But Jowy.....
Viktor: Yeah, he's not here. What happened to Jowy?
Nanami: Well you see.....

And Nanami tells the entire sordid tale, since Muteiu needs a mouthpiece to do any narration or conversation for him, and his friend who usually fills that role is gone.

Viktor: What!!! So they've captured Jowy?
Nanami: Huh? Well..... I... I don't know...... Jowy said...... he said he'd follow after us...
Flik: What's scaring him going to do? Hey, let's go see Jess and find out exactly what's going on.
Nanami: But Jess wasn't there and we weren't allowed in to see Anabelle....
Viktor: Don't worry. I'll show you a good trick.

pow!

Viktor: It's the best way to deal with government workers. Let's go in.

Anabelle: Viktor and Flik. What happened? Why do you look so angry?
Viktor: Hey! You! Is it true you sent Muteiu and Jowy to sneak into the Highland camp!?

Fitcher's portrait. He was mentioned before, remember?

Jess: Yes, I asked them to do it. Now get your hands off me.
Flik: Anabelle, I don't know you that well, but is the State really in such bad shape that they have to use kids like this as spies?
Anabelle: Jess..........................

That's twenty-six periods. Anabelle has the longest single ellipsis in the game.......................... so far.

Jess: I asked them because in order to defeat the Highland Army, we need to know how much provisions they have. Muteiu, how much provisions did they have anyway?
Muteiu: About two weeks' worth.
Viktor: You!! Is that all you........
Nanami: The important thing is Jowy... What about Jowy..... Jowy's been captured by Highland. Well, I don't know if he's captured, but he didn't come back. So please, please save Jowy......
Anabelle: Muteiu, Nanami, I thank you for getting vital information for us. Furthermore, I apologize for putting you in such danger. But I'm afraid we can't save Jowy. We've got our hands full just protecting the city. Forgive me.
Nanami: But, but, but........
Flik: Muteiu.......... Nanami............ Standing around talking isn't going to bring Jowy back safe.
Viktor: Why you!!!!!
Fitcher: Please, no violence!! No violence!!
Jess: How dare you, mercenary. We needed information to save Muse! Besides, it's your fault that Lady Anabelle is suffering.
Viktor: What!!!!

I get the feeling that the script has Jess's line two textboxes too late. Either that or Viktor is just so mad he flies off the handle with no additional provocation. It's hard to tell.

Anabelle: Stop it, Jess!
Flik: Enough, Viktor. I guess mercs like us don't have anything to say about what goes on here. Let's go back.
Viktor: Damn!!!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 10, 2014 10:18 am

Nothing would have changed. We're on a plot railroad here, otherwise I would have fought them off with him and everyone would have returned safely. That's either destiny or limited script capabilities, depending on how fragile you think the fourth wall is around here.

Nanami: I wonder if Jowy's...... okay.... I'm sure he's fine. He'll come back.
Muteiu: It's Jowy. He'll be fine.
Nanami: You're right. Well, I'm going to wait for Jowy out by the gate.
Flik: ..........................

Twenty-six more. We have a tie!

Nanami: I'm going to wait a little longer for him. Muteiu, why don't you go back to Leona's and rest. If he comes back, I'll tell you.
Muteiu: I'll wait with you.
Nanami: That would be nice. It'll seem faster that way.... no, I guess not...

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 10, 2014 10:19 am

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 10, 2014 10:23 am

Nanami: Pilika?
Pilika: Huff... huff... huff... huff...
Nanami: Are you okay, Pilika?
Pilika: Waaaahhh......
Nanami: It'll be okay, honey. Jowy will come back.
Pilika: ...........................

(Twenty-seven!)

Pilika: .........................
Muteiu: He'll come back. He promised.
Pilika: ....................

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 10, 2014 10:24 am

Nanami: While Grandpa Genkaku was out looking for you, Jowy and I waited just like this. You came back and I know Jowy is going to too.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 10, 2014 10:25 am

Muteiu: I'm waiting with you.
Nanami: Why won't you ever listen to what your big sister tells you? ........................ We'll wait a little longer.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 10, 2014 10:27 am

Nanami: While we were waiting for Muteiu just like this, do you know what Jowy did... ha ha. He cried the whole time. Can you believe it? Our Jowy crying just like a little baby... Hey, this conversation is our little secret, okay? I promised Jowy I would never tell a soul.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 10, 2014 10:28 am

Pilika: ZZZZZZZZZ.........

Nanami: Looks like Pilika was pretty tired. It's late, Jowy.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 10, 2014 10:31 am

Jowy: Muteiu......... Nanami.......... You waited for me........
Nanami: You came back! You really came back!!!
Jowy: Muteiu..... Nanami........ I kept my promise....... Thanks.... Muteiu.... It's nice....... Having people wait for you.... Pilika waited too..... Thanks......

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun May 11, 2014 2:38 pm

Nanami coming to wake up the boys is something that's happened as long as she's been in the party, and in fact has its own theme for each time it happens. It's just filler, though, so I skip it.

Although in this case Nanami casually drops that there's been a timeskip when Jowy complains about not being a morning person.

And since we don't really have a direction to go, she provides that, too.

Meet Anita. You can pick her up now, but it's a little tricky to do. She makes a few requests of you, and if you meet them each time she'll ask why you're doting on her, prompting her recruitment. In this case she asks me to refill her wineglass -- you can't drink all day unless you start in the mornin'.

Unfortunately, talking to Leona just has her talk about the big event going on outside, and she doesn't offer a refill. This is Suikoden 1-level event planning!

The event in question takes place at the top of Jowston hill. Nice view from here.

Jowy: Viktor, what is this?
Viktor: Eh? It's a meeting of the leaders of the City-State of Jowston. This is Jowston Hill, so they call this the Hilltop Conference. Leaders of the 5 State cities, Muse, South Window, Greenhill, the Matilda Knights and... oh I forget. Anyway, it should be interesting.
Nanami: Interesting?
Viktor: It's okay, don't worry. You can get in if you stick with me. You should see it, it'll be something to tell your grandkids, I'm sure.

Viktor: I'm Viktor, mercenary leader under contract by Muse City. The others are with me. Let us in.
Clerk: Wait a minute. Show me some proof of identity.
Viktor: Hey, you don't recognize my face? My face is my proof of identity.

Maybe you could draw her a lionbear?

Viktor: Who's this?...
Clerk; Oh! Y... you're... Are you really Sir Flik?
Flik: Eh? Yes, but.....
Clerk: You're the mercenary soldier.... the one... the one they call.... 'Flik of the Blue Lightning'...

I still think "Blue Bolt" flows better.

Flik: ........................
Clerk: Please, please go in.
Viktor: How come they don't know my face, but they know your face?
Flik: How should I know?

It's because Flik is a hunky dreamboat and Viktor resembles a bear wearing clothes.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun May 11, 2014 2:46 pm

Music: The Confederation Forever

Nanami: No... I mean, yes.....

Camus: Just doing my job as a knight. Got a problem?
Nanami: Ah, ah.. it's... it's... it's okay.
Camus: That is good. Well, please excuse me.
Miklotov: Let's also hurry, Camus. It's also a knight's job to be on time.
Nanami: Hey! Hey! Muteiu, Jowy, did you hear? He called me 'lady'!!

Calm your quivering girlhood and get over here, they're announcing the rest of the leaders.

Herald: Leader of the Matilda Knights and the White Knights, Lord Gorudo!!!
Herald: Representative General of Two River City, Lord Makai!!!
Herald: Acting Mayor of Greenhill City, Lady Teresa!!!!
Herald: Mayor of Tinto City, Lord Gustav!!!
Herald: Mayor of South Window City, Lord Granmeyer!!!
Herald: Commander of the Muse City Forces, Lord Hauser!!!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun May 11, 2014 2:53 pm

Jess: The Highland Army is massed at our border. They have only 2 weeks provisions with them. We believe they'll attack soon.

Lots of new portraits here, since every leader has one.

Jess: The Highland Army has already invaded the eastern part of Muse and burned several villages to the ground along the way.
Gorudo: As for that, didn't Highland reply that that was a 'trick by mountain bandits'?

Teresa: That's why things are different.
Gorudo: Oh? So you can't pay your annual rice offering for 3 years, but your mouth still works fine I see.
Teresa: How dare you....
Gorudo: It is just as Lord Gustav said, they'll run at the first sign of battle. I'm certainly not going to expend my knights for this.
Makai: The people of Two Rier are also tired from many battles....
Anabelle: Luca Blight is more demon than man. If he breaks through Muse's defenses, the State will be in shambles. In the name of our mutual oath, I order you to provide troops to protect Muse City, capital city of the City-State of Jowston.
Gustav: I'm not afraid of your threats. What good is it if I protect Muse and my people, the people of Tinto, starve?
Granmeyer: That's an order in the name of the State. You should watch how you speak, Lord Gustav.

A clerk enters and hands a report to Jess. It is:

Jess: I have news to report. The Highland Army has slaughtered our border guards and they're reportedly headed for Muse.
Granmeyer: What!!!
Gorudo: It appears they were serious.
Anabelle: You all heard. I'm ordering you to gather your armies.
Gorudo: Hmmm........