Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nosimpleway

Re: Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 01, 2014 7:34 pm

I like to think she adopted a stern face and a deep, deadpan voice for a spot-on Humphrey impression here.

Well, let's try talking at him again.

:shrug:

Back outside, Kent and some nameless bumpkin are talking.

Bumpkin: Of course I'm sure! There's no way I could be wrong! Rakutei Mountain is a long ways north of here, but my friend went there and said he heard a dragon! And my wife's brother said he saw a dragon's shadow in the clouds!
Kent: Really? REALLY!? Awesome! I have to go see for myself!!!

GUYS WHERE DO YOU THINK THIS SIDEQUEST IS GOING IT'S SO HARD TO TELL

I'm skipping over a lot of :words: because this plot is so predictable. But when everyone works out that Kent ran off to Mt. Rakutei and got in trouble, Humphrey and Futch decide to go help. And Muteiu volunteers, being such a stand-up guy! Lucy introduces Muteiu to Futch as Humphrey's new friend, prompting...

heh heh

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 01, 2014 7:43 pm

Humphrey and Futch join up, each of them at level 34. Humphrey's Muramasa is wicked-sharp at level 11, while Futch's Sigurd is only 7 -- but that's still noticeably sharper than any weapon I've got already. Furthermore, Humphrey gets a bonus from transferring over game save data from Suikoden 1: if he had Windspun Armor in that save, he has it equipped here. And it's not like anyone in my endgame party in the first game was gonna use it! This bumps Humphrey's Defense up from his naturally high amount to endgame levels -- his Defense is double Futch's.

With Humphrey and Futch in the party, I can survive random encounters in the Matilda area now.

Ding! Nanami and Shiro bit the dust, so they didn't get any EXP from that fight, but Jowy and Muteiu gained five levels each.

With random battles giving that much EXP and a matching amount of money, I head up to Rockaxe for armor, items, and the Runemaster there. Shiro gets a Double-Beat Rune, and Nanami's left hand slot opened up, so she gets the Fury Rune I bought in Muse earlier for exactly this purpose. Just according to keikaku.

There's a thick fog blocking the path up Mt. Rakutei, but it clears shortly after we arrive.

It's a long, twisty mountain path dungeon, but it's not noteworthy in any way so I'm skipping to the end.

Oh yeah, and it has a boss.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 01, 2014 7:48 pm

The Harpy has strong physical attacks (against everyone but Humphrey, who takes single-digit damage from virtually everything) and can whip up tornadoes with its wings to hit everyone at once.

But you know what I have?

Level Four Spells. Jowy has a single casting of Hungry Friend, which promises 1200 damage or so to all enemies. And his prolific level 2 and 3 spells bring the hurt, too.

Meanwhile, Muteiu's own true rune keeps everyone healthy and happy. Now you see why I'm doing this quest now, and not when I had the first opportunity to break in when Muteiu and Jowy went to Muse for Pilika's amulet!

Nanami and Shiro smack the crap out of the Harpy, while Futch and Humphrey mostly play defense (although Humphrey gets a couple nasty crits in). All in all, the fight's worth a victorious pose at the end.

We snuck into Matilda at level 12 or so. Now it's just a matter of blacksmiths and armor shops catching up to us.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 01, 2014 8:21 pm

Futch: There's no dragons here... That rumor was total bull. You should know better, Kent.
Kent: But what if there was...? And if I had a friend who was a Dragon Knight, I could be proud.
Futch: That's why...
Kent: And I heard it! The dragon cry everyone else talked about! It's real! And it's just above here. That's why I ran up here! Then I fell and twisted my leg... It's okay now. There, ya see? Look, it's Black's scale, the charm Futch gave to me! When I prayed to it, the mist lifted! So there must be a dragon here!
Futch: Black's scale... So that's what...

According to the media I've consumed over the years, approximately 40% of any Japanese conversation is one person repeating what the other person said.

Futch: But what's important is that you're safe. Let's go home.
Kent: No, Futch!!! I said I heard the dragon's cry! Last night, there was a tremendous beating of wings, and a cry that could split stone! It was just ahead! There might be a dragon right there! Let's see!
Futch: There's no way there'd be a dragon around here!!! And even if there was...
Kent: But, what if there is?
Futch: Even if there was. . . . .
Humphrey: Let's go see. . . . .

The next area is a sulfur spring, with a pool of bubbling, steaming... well, I assume it's water, but who knows?

Futch: Dragons only lay their eggs in Dragon Caves.
Kent: Then what's that? There's no other egg that looks like that! With this, you can be a real Dragon Knight again!
Futch: A dragon's egg...
Humphrey: Captain Joshua of the Dragon Knights told me once... Even though dragons only lay eggs in Dragon Caves, once in a while a 'wild dragon' appears... If we could find out why, we could probably breed new types of dragons. I was headed to the 'Great Shrine' in Crystal Valley to try to find out more about that, but.... But I never expected that in a place like this....
Kent: Quickly, come over here Futch.
Futch: But. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Kent: Look at it, Futch! It's a new dragon!
Futch: No!!! I... I... I don't need a dragon! Lord McDohl, Kent..... They were all so nice to me. Everyone was all concerned about me and hoping they could help me find another dragon... That's why I couldn't tell them the truth.... I don't want to ride on any dragon besides Black!!! He was the only one for me.....

Kent: What's going on? Why would you do that?
Humphrey: Dragon Pups are weak creatures. With no mother or Knight to care for it, it will weaken and die. And if it did live, but without a master, it would be no more than a monster that terrorizes humans.
Kent: That's why you need to care for it! Come on Futch! Stop him!!!
Futch: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Kent: Stop him Futch!!! Then you stop it, MIster! It's a Dragon's Egg... After all we've gone through...
Futch: Wait, Sir Humphrey!!!

skreee

Humphrey: I've never seen such a small dragon. And I've never even heard of a white dragon...
Kent: But it's still a dragon, right? Yeah, it has to be! Don't you think so, Futch?
Futch: But... I don't need...
Humphrey: Then why stop me, Futch? It wouldn't be a betrayal to have a new dragon. My memories of Black's death are precious, but I won't have to forget that. And it's no reason to close the door to the future.
Kent: Futch...
Futch: ...There's nothing to be afraid of... Come here... I christen you 'Bright'.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 01, 2014 8:25 pm

The question is obvious! Humphrey and Futch join up permanently, and given that they're overleveled, will likely be mainstays in the group for a while even after I have access to switching members again.

Futch says his goodbyes in Highway Village, and we're off.

The checkpoint gate slides out of the way in the other direction, too.

So, where was I? Oh right. Into Muse!

siiiiiiiiiiiigh

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Thu May 01, 2014 8:26 pm

nosimpleway wrote:Futch: ...There's nothing to be afraid of... Come here... I christen you 'Bright'.

Futch, I christen you 'Uninspired Namer'.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Thu May 01, 2014 8:28 pm

Also c'mon Futch, did the game really need another Bright/Blight?

(the answer is yes)
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 03, 2014 7:05 pm

Nanami: Come on, let's not lose our tempers. Leave it to Nanami.

Nanami has adopted a pose that she probably thinks is really adorable.

...it's not.

Nanami: What?! What did you just call me!?
State Soldier: I called you pug-nose, shrimp! Now buzz off!
Nanami: Sh... shrimp? Say that again and.... you'll be sorry!
State Soldier: Shut up, you frog faced whiny little tomboy!
Nanami: Frog faced.... whiny... ....tomboy..... Grrrrrrr!!!!....... I'll rip your lips off! You're history!

The party drags Nanami away before she can unleash her mighty Golden Bird Holy Flower Dragon Tooth Glory Punch, and the party retreats from the gate of Muse to find any other options they can find.

There's a little inn not far from Muse, on the road from Toto. Might as well chill out there while we figure out out next step.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 03, 2014 7:16 pm

Hilda: The beds are clean and breakfast is included.
Nanami: You picked a strange place to open an inn, didn't you?
Hilda The side of the trade highway leading directly to the nation's capital is a perfectly reasonable place to open an inn, shut up. Well, umm... maybe. But you'd be surprised how many people stay here. Well, shall I show you to your room?

Hilda: Wh.. what are you so excited about....?
Alex: I did it, Hilda! Be happy! I finally found the way to the treasure. It was just like I thought. I knew there was something about those ruins. What? You should be happier. We can finally say goodbye to this dump of an inn!!!
Hilda: W... wait a minute, Alex.....
Alex: I've got to get some help. Its' dangerous in there. Well, I bet I can find some city people to help out. I'll find you a jewel so big you won't even be able to carry it. We're gonna be rich, HIlda!
Hilda: Alex.... please. Don't do anything dangerous... The treasure is probably just a rumor. Please.... I don't want you to....
Alex: What are you talking about, Hilda. I'm doing this for you!

I'm gonna fast-track this quest; you've already gotten the gist of Alex's HOT BLOODED impulsiveness and Hilda's demure waifu worrying. Alex storms out to look for volunteers. The party stays overnight. Alex comes back in the morning annoyed that no one believed him about his fabulous treasure. Nanami asks if he was looking in Muse. He sure was! So the party agrees to help him find his treasure if Alex will lend them his permit to get into Muse. They drop Pilika off at the inn to play with Alex and Hilda's son Pete, and are off to the ruins behind the inn.

There, that skipped about fifty screenshots' worth of dialog.

Jowy: Is this inscription in Sindarin?
Alex: Yes. These ruins were left by the lost race of the Sindar.
Nanami: Wow Jowy, you're so smart! How did you know that?
Jowy: No, it's no big deal..... I just saw it in one of the books in my father's study.
Alex: I've been researching this for years. I finally learned the secret of these ruins a few days ago.

There are!

None of them are tougher than the Mt. Rakutei Harpy, and we've already killed one of those!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 03, 2014 7:23 pm

I'm skipping the entire dungeon. There's a gimmick where we have to collect iron plates and put them into slots to open doors, and at once point we drain a waterway that's remained functional for god knows how long to open the path forward. Isn't that fascinating?

Nanami: This is where the treasure is?
Alex: Yeah, that's right. There's Sindarin writing here. 'Traveller, all that you desire, all that you dream for, all that is most dear to you is here if your heart is true...'
Nanami: 'All that is most dear', huh. I wonder what that could be. I guess for me it's Grandpa Genkaku, but he's dead....
Jowy: Yeah.... I guess there aren't so many things that are 'most dear' to me.....

Here, you have the choice of answering "Everyone", "Fame", or "Gold." I picked "Everyone", but you can imagine how much of an effect any other choice has on the continuing conversation.

Jowy: Muteiu too? Yeah, I guess that's number one... maybe.
Alex: Hey, are you crazy? It said 'most dear'. It's gotta be treasure, right?

It's supposed to be something of a wake-up boss, the first really tough fight in the game. But a) the Mist Monster KOed two people right off, so that fight was more brutal by a long shot, and b) we're triple the experience level the game expects from us. Dual Head lasts for all of two rounds, and doesn't even get a chance to move on the second one.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat May 03, 2014 7:27 pm

Something about those teeth give me the willies.

I like that if your heart is true, what is most dear to you is apparently a massive two-headed snake with human teeth.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 03, 2014 7:29 pm

Nanami: Huh? What? What? C'mon let me see too!
Alex: Now.... now I can finally buy HIlda some nice clothes...... We'll buy some good food for Pete too....
Nanami: Hey! C'mon. C'mon. Hurry and open it!!!
Alex: Okay! Here goes.

In a nice added touch, the chest makes the same chiming noise when Alex opens it as every other chest in the game opened by the party.

Alex: What is this??? What's 'most dear' about this?... I can't believe it!!! Damn.......... I thought I'd finally found it...
Jowy: Alex...... Forget the treasure. Let's go back. Maybe...... there never was a treasure.
Nanami: That's right. Cheer up. Hilda's waiting for you.
Alex: .............. You're right........ At least this will make a good story....

Alex drops the herbs on the ground and kicks them away.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 03, 2014 7:34 pm

Nanami: Muteiu, get some water!!! Jowy, go call a doctor!!! Hurry!!!!!
Jowy: I... I.... I....eh? O...okay. I got it!!!
Nanami: Hurry and carry her to the bed!!

Nanami: She's burning up. I've never seen anyone this hot. We've got to do something.
Alex: Like... like what....?
Nanami: We've got to get her fever down.
Pete: Mommy...
Nanami: When's Jowy going to get back... I hope he hurries.....
Alex: There are no doctors around here... We usually go to Toto, but... Damn.... why.....
Nanami: What should we do?.....

GUYS

WHAT SHOULD WE DO

I FEEL LIKE THE ANSWER IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF OUR FACES

MAN WHAT A TERRIBLE THING TO HAVE HAPPENED THAT WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT

:roll:

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 03, 2014 7:42 pm

After much waiting and hand-wringing...

Hilda's first expression upon waking is happiness that Alex is safe. What a perfect little Yamato nadeshiko! So everyone's happy and Alex has learned a truly valuable lesson about what's important in life.

Oh, Jowy! You're such a card.

blah blah blah I haven't forgotten your promise blah blah okay here you go blah blah blah :words:

She's right, you can in fact come back to the inn and heal up for free.

Jowy raises a good point. This entry pass is for a hot-blooded treasure hunter, his subservient and caring waifu, and their young son. How are seven people, none of whom are like any of those things and one of whom is a dog, going to get in on that pass?

I'm sure everything will be all right.

François

Postby François » Sun May 04, 2014 7:07 am

TA wrote:Something about those teeth give me the willies.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun May 04, 2014 10:08 am

YOU ARE NOT HELPING AS MUCH AS YOU THINK YOU ARE

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 08, 2014 8:40 pm

Jowy: Is this really going to work....
Nanami: We won't know unless we try. Okay then.... I'll be Hilda. Muteiu is Alex and.... Jowy, you're Pete. The rest of you just hush.
Jowy: Wait a minute, Nanami. Pete is Alex and Hilda's son, right? How am I supposed to.... Why doesn't Pilika do it?
Nanami: Pilika is a girl, you dummy. Kind of hard to believe, don't you think?
Jowy: Oh yeah, and it's real believable that I'm your son. Right.
Nanami: Don't worry, it'll work. Let's go.

Well, there's no convincing her of how terrible this idea is, so let's go get thrown in jail or executed or whatever happens to people who try to sneak in with fake ID.

Nanami immediately starts overacting, with the Japanese noblewoman's laugh and all.

State Soldier: ........................ Let's take a look. Hmmmm.......... Which one of you is Alex?

Nanami jabs Muteiu with her elbow and shoves him over to the guard.

Nanami: Ho ho. This is Alex, young man.
State Soldier: ..................... Okay, so who's Hilda?
Nanami: Ho ho ho. I am Hilda, young man.
State Soldier: ............... Okay, where is Pete?
Jowy: Err, ummmm......

Another sharp elbow! This time I get a screenshot!

Jowy: I, umm, errr.... I'm Pete.
State Soldier: ..................... You're Pete???!!! There's something funny about you guys!!!!!!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 08, 2014 8:44 pm

Everything went as well as expected!

Nanami: That's weird, huh. I thought we were perfect.
Jowy: Perfectly horrible, maybe.
Nanami: What?! Maybe we could have fooled them if you had tried a little harder.
Jowy: ..................... You're the one who overacted.
Nanami: What do you mean 'overacted'? I acted like a 28 year old woman.
Jowy: Which part of that was a 28 year old woman?
Nanami: All of it!
Jowy: Okay, let's ask Muteiu. Who was more realistic, me or Nanami?
Nanami: Fine. So who was better?

I calls 'em likes I sees 'em.

Nanami: Huh!!!!! That's a lie!
Jowy: Muteiu!!!!!!!!!! Don't put my acting in the same class as Nanami's.

Yeah people quit yelling about your shitty acting let's get on with the game here.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Music: Moonlit Night theme

Nanami and Pilika are both sleeping on a mat on the floor, which makes sense considering that there isn't a bed in here so much as a wooden bench with a blanket.

...has the moon always been this washed-out? Maybe it's an emulator thing.

Jowy: ....That vision.... the one we saw in the cave in Toto Village..... Back then I was.... I was jealous of you...... In my house, we had everything.... Everything we ever wanted, we got. But............ Muteiu, you and Nanami and Grandpa Genkaku may not have been related by blood.... but even so.... you had a real connection. That was the one thing.... the one thing I wanted, but never got....

Jowy: Muteiu..... Do you remember the day you and I met? I didn't know what I should say to you, so I just watched you and Nanami. You talked to me first....

Jowy: So, Muteiu...... Do you think we'll ever go back to Kyaro?
Muteiu: Don't worry, we'll go back.....
Jowy: It'll be okay... I'm sure we will. When this stupid war ends and things get quiet again, let's go back there. The three of us... me, you and Nanami. We could fix up Grandpa Genkaku's dojo and make a living teaching his way of fighting. But the important thing is we could live and go on. As long as I don't ever have to join the army again.

Jowy: Muteiu............ I.................... During the long days I spent with Pilika, Marx and Joanna after I was saved near Toto Village... That's when I first realized... realized what was important to me. You see, even though Pilika called me 'Uncle Jowy'...... I still.... I still couldn't....... protect her. Muteiu... I have a dream...... to make this land safe again. So that children like Pilika can grow up surronded by the warmth of people that love them... I want to go back to a time like that. For that, I'd fight with every last bit of strength in my body.

Jowy: It's late.... I'm going to sleep, Muteiu.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 08, 2014 9:04 pm

That next morning...

Nanami: Hey! Old man! Get us out of here!!! Hurry! Hurry!!
Flik: You know who they are. Let them out.
State Soldier: Yes, sir. Just a minute....
Viktor: Ha ha ha ha, So you guys are okay. I was getting worried.
Jowy: We've took a little detour, but we're fine.

Well, we went and got Humphrey and Futch. I bet you guys have a lot of catching up to do.

Flik: Hmmmm... Somehow you all look a little older, tougher.

Oh yeah, and I'm 17 levels above you now, so you guys have a lot of catching up to do.

Viktor: Well, why don't you go to Leona's new tavern? Everyone's there. It's right near then... oh well, just walk around, you'll find it. Oh, Muteiu and Jowy, meet me in the city hall later. There's somebody I want to introduce you to.
Jowy: Me and Muteiu?
Nanami: What? I'm going to!! It's not fair if just Muteiu and Jowy get to go!!!!
Viktor: Okay you little brat, okay. You can come too. Well I'll be waiting in city hall. Muteiu, Jowy and the tomboy can come. City hall is at the dead-end north of here.

Music: Let's Climb That Hill

Muse! Again! Not much has changed overall, but the townspeople are worried about the coming war instead of celebrating the new peace treaty now.

Although in one back alley...

Hey, it's that guy! Turns out Clive was spot-on when he identified Elza's grave in Rockland as a fake, since she's still up and running around and handing out weird packages to people.