Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nosimpleway

Re: Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 24, 2014 10:55 am

ALLEZ CUISINE!

Music: One-Minute Showdown

The chefs and their sous both whip around the kitchens, chopping vegetables, cooking rice, stirring broth, sauteing vegetables, and generally doing the business end of a cooking duel. There's a timer and a meter in the top-left. The meter on the right appears to be how done the cooking is, so it fills naturally throughout the duel until it's about three-quarters full. You can hammer the X button to fill it all the way, I think this gives a tiny boost to your scores at judging time.

Time's up! Knives down, plating done!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 24, 2014 11:03 am

Music: Bright Curtains, The Cooking Duel

Yu Kum starts with his specialty: tomato soup.

"We've just found our castle gardener here at Vania, so it seemed appropriate to take advantage of the fresh vegetables that are available to us now. With that in mind, I made a green salad with a light olive-oil vinaigrette, to best show off the delicious vegetables. Please enjoy it."

Yu Kum adds a little extra salt to his tamago-yaki to make an Adult Fried Egg. It's pretty good... I guess.

"Many of our newest members are from the Greenhill prefecture. Including Wakaba here! And the people of Forest Village make some fantastic tempura, even being as far from the fresh seafood of Lake Dunan as they could possibly be. I think the blend of spices really complements the natural sweetness of the shrimp. Please enjoy it."

Yu Kum's dessert, a ginger beef bun, goes over about as well as you'd expect a ginger beef bun for dessert to go.

"Something sweet and rich to cut through the taste of the peppery tempura. But honestly... three young women and a little boy? I'm just playing to stereotype here. Please enjoy it."

"Nailed it."

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 24, 2014 11:04 am

Yu Kum hands over his recipe for tomato soup. I'll have to remember not to give any to Nanami, apparently she hates the stuff.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 24, 2014 11:27 am

Sure thing. Want some tomato soup? Tony doesn't have any tomatoes yet, though, so it's not very good. It's mostly cabbage and fish.

Viktor: So what's the bad news you promised yesterday?
Shu: Greenhill has fallen to the Kingdom of Highland.

Oh. Well, looks like Jowy isn't about to be executed for incompetence, then.

Viktor: ...Not again...
Flik: Greenhill is lost, eh... But how did they take Greenhill while most of their forces were in Two River...
Apple: The troops that captured Greenhill apparently number only 5,000 men.
Viktor: Wait a second... you can't be serious! Greenhill's got to have at least 7,000 soldiers of its own... You're saying they couldn't defeat a force of only 5,000?
Shu: I've no idea what tactics they used, but they must have been brilliant...Their commander is apparently the leader of Highland's Fourth Army, and Solon's replacement. This is not a man to be taken lightly.
Viktor: Then what should we do? We can't just stand back and watch.
Shu: Even with the help of the Two River forces, the KISS Army doesn't have enough manpower to re-take Greenhill.
Flik: Are we giving up?
Shu: It appears we have to. However, we will get the acting mayor of Greenhill, Teresa, to safety.
Viktor: Teresa?? Why? I'm surprised to hear a realist like you say such a thing.
Shu: The true mayor of Greenhill, Alec Wisemail, has been seriously ill for many years. Therefore, the handling of the city's affairs has fallen to Teresa. In this capacity, she has gained immense popularity, and has become something of an icon among Greenhill's citizens. If we can get Teresa out of Greenhill, we can expect the cooperation of the populace when the time comes to re-take the city. Likewise, it will simply create more problems for us if the Highland Army is able to keep her under their thumb.
Flik: I see... So Teresa is a major morale-booster for the people of Greenhill... So, then, how are we gonna bust her out?
Shu: Greenhill is essentially a college town, and students from countries all over the continent come to study there. I don't think the Highland Army's occupation will stop that. Therefore, Lord Muteiu and a few others will sneak into the city, pose as students, and rescue Teresa. As for how to get in... Fitcher, I'll leave that to you.
Fitcher: What? M, me, sir...? Y, yes, I suppose I can... I've got a lot of friends in Greenhill. I'll work something out... Whew... I'm worked too hard... When will I be able to get some rest...?
Nanami: ALL RIGHT! Let's go!!
Viktor: Wait a second... who said you could come?

Viktor: Wait, wait, wait...
Fitcher: Whew... It doesn't matter how many come, since you're meant to be students. Also, only youngsters should go... It'll make things look less suspicious.
Shu: Flik, I want you to go with Lord Muteiu. You will be their bodyguard... and their leader.
Flik: Me... their leader...?

Yeah, last time Flik tried to be leader he stormed an impregnable castle. Thousands died. Can we not?

Flik: Whew... please, just don't call me 'Teacher'...
Shu: Lord Muteiu, please select your members. As Fitcher said, only those of appropriate school age should go. Also, once you enter Greenhill, you will not be able to change members. Choose carefully.

We'll get to that, with polling open as usual, but I have a lot of new recruits to talk about!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 24, 2014 12:44 pm

First, the ones who can't join the active party. Those will be faster.

Name: Templeton
Position: Strategist's retinue
Note: Phonologist (No he isn't, he's a cartographer. Get your shit together, Richmond.)
  • Templeton was born in Kanakan, far south of the Toran Republic. He worked his way north while making that map of his.
  • Templeton's special ability, 'Shortcut', allows the unit to move whether it's a forest or castle. It's very useful for getting inside a castle from the outside.
  • When this war is over, he plans to go back to Toran Castle for a while.
Templeton gives the army unit he's in +1 Defense, and the ability to enter cities from any direction rather than through the front gate. Allied cities allow units to heal, so getting into those quickly is nice. And now that I think about it, a few mass battles hinge on getting into the enemy city, so he might be a big help there too.

---
Name: Shu
Position: Army strategist
Note: None
  • With Shu's 'Critical' ability, a successful hit in war sometimes causes double damage to the enemy unit.
  • Shu studied military tactics under Mathiu, but he was expelled for using his knowledge for selfish gain. He never saw Mathiu again after that day.
  • He thinks of Apple like a little sister. But he's such a cool customer, he never lets his true feelings show.
Shu's the best add-on to any military unit in the game, obviously. He gives an unmatched +3 Attack and +1 Defense to the unit he's in, and has both the Critical and Evade abilities. When Critical triggers, the unit's attack power is doubled. When Evade triggers, the unit's defense is doubled. He can turn any company he's in into an unstoppable juggernaut.

---
Name: Yam Koo
Position: Navy
  • They've been brother-in-laws for a long time now. They first met each other during a gambling brawl.
  • Tai Ho's wife, Kimberley, has got a secret crush on Yam Koo.
Yam Koo doesn't fight in this game, but he handles the fishing minigame down at the harbor. In a battle, his unit gets +1 Attack and +1 Defense. Nothing flashy, but useful nonetheless.

---
Name: Huan
Position: Rearguard
  • During a war, Huan's 'Heal' ability will even let you heal a unit that's far away. Use it wisely though.
  • Dr. Haun did his medical training in the Toran Republic. There was a guy there named Liukan the Healer who taught him everything he knows.
Huan gives no attack or defense bonuses, but his Heal ability removes damage from a unit up to 3 panels away. It's no Bright Shield, but it's better than Heal Self.

---
Name: Taki
  • She's certainly got lots of interesting stories to tell, but what was that about making cats sniff orange rinds......?
  • Old lady Taki's got a couple of married sons living in Two River, but she couldn't leave Lakewest. She just loves that place. When this is all over, she's gonna go back there.
As you might expect, Taki doesn't fight, either in tactical parties or in army battles.(Cats usually don't like the smell of citrus oil, so orange rind can be useful to keep them out of places they're not supposed to be.)

---
Name: Hans
  • He was born in Zexen and his family wasn't exactly rich. He had just enough money to get himself established here in the City-State of Jowston.
  • That guy's saved up a hell of lot of money! I have no idea where he's hiding it all though.

---
Name: Tetsu
Position: Infantry
  • Never met a guy who loved baths more. He heats 'em up by himself so he can be the first one in, ya see.
  • He's really interested in bath design. He's come up with several different styles, I hear.
  • I don't know why, but the other day I saw him putting an 'Octopus Urn' in each of the 4 corners of the tub. I wonder what the hell that was for...
Richmond lists him as "Infantry", but he doesn't fight.

---
Name: Alex
  • It sounds like he thought there was gonna be gold in those Sindar ruins. Tough luck.
  • He wanted to make Hilda's life easier, but he actually made it a lot tougher with all that adventuring. Well, that's his way of showing his love, I guess....
  • He still hasn't given up on the idea of a Sindar treasure. Right now, he's tracking down some new leads.

---
Name: Hilda
  • Before she married Alex, she was a nurse who made house-calls. They say love is blind, but gimme a break.
  • She first met Alex at Muse's Harvest Festival. They married 6 months later. They're a very happy couple.
  • She's really worried about her son, Pete. He can't seem to make any friends. It's probably cause they were way out in the country and then they had to flee because of the war.......

---
Name: Adlai
Position: Special Forces
  • His neighbors back in South Window sure hated him. They said he did all sorts of weird experiments in his cellar.
  • He calls himself a 'genius', but other than that elevator, he still hasn't come up with a really useful invention.
In an army battle, Adlai brings his prototype inventions along. They're prone to exploding. His "Invention" ability damages all the units adjacent to the one he's in... and the one he's in.

---
Name: Ridley
Position: General
Note: Commander of Kobold Army of Two River City
  • I've always wondered, so I took a look and it's true... No matter how famous he gets, he's still got a tail.
  • Ridley has a son named Boris who's the spitting image of him. Right now he's training in the Nameless Countries.
Ridley is an Infantry leader. He's base attack 10, base defense 7, and has the Critical ability.

---
Name: Fitcher
  • According to Muse law, Fitch is the mayor of Muse, but if ya ask me, he ain't got the stones for it...
  • At least half of his dummy act is a put-on to make people underestimate him. It's his strategy.
  • Fitcher can sleep with his eyes wide open. that would be a useful trick when ya gotta listen to some bore running off at the mouth.

---
Name: Tony
  • That guy spends all his time on his farm. He must be some kind of a dirt fetishist.
  • He really hates moles! Well I can't blame him. They eat up all those vegetables he raised so carefully.....
Oh yeah, Tony runs a whack-a-mole minigame sometimes. I'll have to remember to show that.

---

Okay, on to my tactical troops.

---

Name: Luc
Position: Magic Unit Captain
  • That sorceress, Leknaat, is the keeper of the 'Gate Rune', one of the 27 True Runes.
  • Luc is pretty secretive about his past. I'm pretty sure something happened to him in the Holy Kingdom of Harmonia.
  • 10 years ago, he ran into some kinda trouble at the shrine. I don't know the details, but someone told him to keep his mouth shut about it.
Luc has peerless Magic growth and good Magic Defense, Speed, and Technique. But his Strength, Defense, Luck, and HP are bottom-of-the-barrel. He comes with a Wind Rune and a Pixie Rune, the latter being only for people who use rods as weapons. It lets Luc hit from long range, based on 1/5 of his Magic stat rather than his Strength, and ignores the enemy's Defense. Its only real advantage is letting him hit from the safety of the back row without consuming Vancian magic charges.
Luc has good affinities for all magic, with top-ranked affinities for Wind (of course), Water, and Earth.
In an army battle, Luc heads up a magic unit, allowing him to attack enemies three spaces away. His base attack is 10 and his base defense is 4. He can use Wind Magic to hit a target five spaces away once.

---
Name: Yoshino
Note: Freed Y's wife
  • She was introduced to Freed through Granmeyer. I don't know what she sees in him, but they've been married for 5 years now.
  • Her specialties are her 'Husband-Wife Attack' with Freed and her 'Meat and Potatoes'. I prefer the latter myself.
  • Looks like she make Freed promise that when the war is over, he'll go back to Radat and live a quiet life with her.
A female character defined only by her relationship to a male character? Somewhere Alison Bechdel is weeping.
Yoshino is in almost all ways inferior to her exceptionally average husband, except for her sliiiightly better Magic growth and slightly better affinities. The two of them together can Unite in the Husband and Wife Attack, dealing double damage to one enemy and knocking Yoshino off-balance with the sheer mundanity of it all.

Oh, and correction to previous: Freed Y is only an infantry leader in the one battle outside North Window. Now that that role is over, he's just base Defense +1 to the unit he's in.

---
Name: Amada
  • I heard he can't wake up in the morning without a big helping of fermented
    soy-beans on rice. I'm a big fan of 'natto' myself.
  • The Island Countries are really a collection of small island nations far south of here. The people there are famous for their great seamanship.
  • When you line him up next to Rikimaru, the two of them look like quite a 'manly' combo.
Amada's a solid but not exceptional fighter. He's a lousy magician, but can Unite with Rikimaru for the Manly Attack to do double damage to an enemy column, and that's not bad.

---
Name: Tai Ho
Position: Navy Captain
Note: Original member of Toran Liberation Army
  • He used to be a fisherman living on Lake Toran, but he's got a lust for life and wanted to see more of the world if ya know what I mean.
  • He says he came to the City-State of Jowston to work for a guy name Kun Tze, but the truth is he was just trying to escape his wife.
  • He's Yam Koo's brother-in-law. But they've been friends ever since they were kids.
Oh good for him, Kun To Tze managed a name change. Anyway, Tai Ho is a spearman, and an okay fighter. Tsai is probably better overall. In army battles he gives a unit +2 attack and +1 defense, so that's pretty cool.

---
Name: Tuta
Position: Rear Guard
  • Tuta is the son of one of Dr. Haun's friends. At his age, he's still probably crying out for his momma when it gets dark out. Poor little kid...
  • Tuta's 'Medicine Rune' automatically supplies medicine to members of the group when they need it. It's pretty useful.

...no it isn't.

---
Name: Clive
Position: Archer
Note: In pursuit of a "woman".
  • Looks like Clive is a member of something called the 'Howling Voice Guild' from Harmonia. They're a secret group that centers around the use of those 'Gun' things.
  • A 'gun' is a tool made of steel, but that's not all. I hear that these guns have special 'souls' too.....
  • People say that gun of his, Storm, has a soul of its own... What the hell does that mean? Maybe it's got a True Rune embedded in it?
Eilie is a high-Tech long-range fighter and backup magician. Clive trades any talent with magic away for even higher Tech -- best in the game! He can pump out critical hits like nobody's business.

---
Name: Hai Yo
  • I don't know the details, but he's on the run from something they call the 'Group'.
  • That secret 'Blue Moon Bird Recipe' of his is for some kind of food that will make anybody who eats it happy. But I'm not too sure how it works...
  • It's kinda sad...... He was betrothed to a girl who was later killed. Before she died, he made her some kinda promise.
Hai Yo has, on the scale of E to S used in Japanese grading scales for things like this, nothing other than C or C+ in all his stat growth. Even Yoshino has a B in Luck! Hai Yo can join the party to fight, but he's really best suited to keep to cooking.

---
Name: Stallion
Note: Original member of the Toran Liberation Army
  • He's originally from the Village of the Elves in Toran, but he left there to train to be the fastest man alive.
  • I wonder what that 'True Holy Rune' of his is anyway. He sure runs around outside the city pretty fast...
  • From what I can see, he doesn't act much like an Elf at all....
Stallion is much as he was in the first game: decent attack power, crappy magic, good Technique, obscene Speed. He's got the True Holy rune in his head slot, so you can slap a Spark rune on his hand and let even slowpokes like Bolgan or Humphrey be as fast as Stallion is. With Kinnison in the party, Stallion can Unite into the Bow Attack, hitting all foes for half damage.

---
Name: Gabocha
Position: Infantry Soldier
  • If he fights alongside Gengen, they can do a special attack called 'Kobold Attack'.
  • He looks up to Gengen so much that he followed him here. All he ever talks about is 'Captain Gengen'!
  • Sometimes his 'Kobold Attack' does something really amazing.....
Gabocha is surprisingly good for such a young pup, but still doesn't really excel at anything. He's a little faster and luckier than his hero Gengen, and uses a slingshot from the safety of the back row instead of a sword.
Gabocha can pair with Shiro for the Bow Wow Attack, or pair with Gengen for the Kobold Attack. Kobold Attack does... their normal combined damage to one enemy. But sometimes it turns into the 100 Kobold Attack, for triple damage to all enemies. Pretty impressive, when it works!

---
Name: Chaco
Position: Infantry Captain
  • With his 'Flight Ability', any unit he's in will be able to fly during war. If you combine that with 'Cavalry Ability', you'll really be able to cover a lot of ground!
  • Winger's wings are damn useful when ya wanna jump down from a high place. I guess it's not really like flying though.
  • He go dumped by his girlfriend recently, but he'll be okay. A boy like him won't let something like that keep him down.
As much as I hate Chaco, he's actually a fairly solid medium-range spearfighter. His low HP growth keeps him from being really exceptional at much, though. In an army battle, he gets all the soldiers in his unit fly too, giving added mobility. It even stacks with cavalry, somehow.

---
Name: Sid
  • What's with this guy? When I peeked in on him, he was walking around on his
    hands upside-down. Is that some kinda training or what!?
  • I saw him surrounded by a bunch of kids the other day. I thought he was playing with them, but it turns out he was telling them a super scary story. One of the kids even pooped in his pants.
  • What a weirdo. He makes graves for fish after he eats them. He's already got over 100 here.
Sid is better than Chaco, hands down. He comes with a Waking Rune that puts Sid to sleep at the start of every battle, but once he wakes up, he's Berserk for the rest of the fight. It's... kind of... sort of useful... but at least it's not fixed in place, so you can remove it if you want.
Sid and Chaco together can execute the Winger Attack, doing half again their usual damage and possibly poisoning the target.

---
Name: Wakaba
  • Her love for the martial arts started at a local dojo in her neighborhood, and she's been in training ever since...
  • Yesterday she did 200 squats, 50 pull-ups and then 200 sit-ups. And that was just before breakfast.....
  • She tries hard at everything she does. She borrowed a jigsaw puzzle from a friend and worked on it all night. She got so frustrated that she finally busted it up.
Wakaba's a decent short-range fighter, kicking foes into submission. Her HP growth is a little odd, with only average base growth, but a 10% extra tacked on. Her White Tiger rune does double damage to an enemy, or triple damage if she's so hurt she's near death, but comes with a 50% chance of unbalancing her for the following turn.

---
Name: Makumaku
  • Number two in the tribe. He's cool on the inside, but ferocious on the inside.
Makumaku is specced ever-so-slightly for Magic, but can only equip a Water rune, and still has crappy affinity with it.

---
Name: Meg
  • She set off on a journey to follow an old man named Juppo who was teaching her the lost art of gadgetry, but lost track of him on the way. I guess he didn't want to be followed.
  • I looked into her room the other day and saw Gadget all broken down into pieces. I can't believe she really put it back together.
  • This girl doesn't think before she does something. There's no good reason for her setting off after Juppo either it seems.
Meg has good Technique and Luck, but should stay in the back row where it's safe. Her defense and HP are no good at all. Her average Magic ability belies her affinity for Lightning or Water runes, and her innate Trick rune can be used once per battle to triple damage to one opponent.

---
Name: Gadget
  • Looks like it can do something called a 'Trick Attack' when it's fighting with Meg.
  • It can't be easy partnered up with that girl, Meg, either. The other day he hid from her by pretending to be a barrel filled with pickled daikon.
  • That thing just hates water. Meg was talking about water-proofing him, but he wants nothing to do with it.
Gadget is everything Meg is not. He counts as a monster, so can't wear most equipment (and his Magic is terrible, like most monsters), but his Defense and HP are quite good and his Strength, Speed, and Technique are all solid, too. Combined with Meg, they can perform the Trick Attack for their combined damage to all enemies.

---

...whew, that's a lot of recruits. But it's the early game part where there are a lot of basic facilities to fill up, and without Richmond's investigations I wouldn't have had anything to say about some of those people anyway. Oh well. The mission at Greenhill demands people of a certain age bracket. Tellingly, Eilie and Bolgan can go but Rina is too old, Mukumuku and Shiro can go but Gadget cannot, and god dammit, Tuta and Chaco are eligible to come too. I guess. Go vote in the party of children.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Sat May 24, 2014 2:02 pm

No one else is voting Bolgan? He wants to go to school.

patito

Postby patito » Sat May 24, 2014 5:02 pm

Gotta take Chaco.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Sat May 24, 2014 5:19 pm

I advocate taking Chaco any time Sid can be in the party, but right now Sid can't be in the party, so Chaco has to stay home where Sid is.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat May 24, 2014 6:07 pm

Now, I have to wonder, is Gabocha eligible because he is a puppy kobold, or is he eligible under the animals exception that seems to cover Mukumuku and Shiro? Gengen being on the list seems to swing it towards the racism angle.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat May 24, 2014 6:38 pm

Eilie, Luc, and Gengen are 17 years old; Bolgan is 16; Wakaba is 15; Chaco, Millie, and Futch are all 14; Gabocha is 13; Tuta is 11. Assuming kobolds stop being children at the same time humans do, Gengen and Gabocha are both school-aged.

Racist. Didn't you learn anything from Two River?

Shiro is 9 and Mukumuku is 6, so they're of the proper age to attend school in human years... although nine years is pretty oldmans for a dog, and who knows how giant flying squirrels develop?

Rina and Kinnison are too old at 18, and won't even pretend to be younger than they are.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun May 25, 2014 6:06 pm

So while you guys are voting, I do some fishing.

The mechanics aren't at all interesting in a screenshot LP, but I do fully-stock the kitchen with seafood.

It's enough to fill out the restaurant menu. Now each time I talk to Hai Yo, he'll turn over a bit of the restaurant's profits.

There's also a rope-climbing minigame at the castle that is again not particularly interesting to describe. The prizes tend to be either decorative antiques for the bath or equippable items that change how Unite attacks work. For example, one of the prizes I got is the Dog Whistle, which improves the chance of the Kobold Attack turning into the 100 Kobold Attack from 1/5 to 1/4.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun May 25, 2014 6:14 pm

There's also...

Music: Bright Curtains, the Kitchen Duel

Fu Tan Chen: I will be your host today. My name is Fu Tan Chen. First, I'd like to introduce today's panel of judges. I've heard a rumor that Humphrey likes to eat Western food. It could be true. She's a mother and a homemaker. She likes her food plain and simple. It's Hilda!!! How are Kobold tastebuds? Straight from Kobold Village, home of delicious food, it's Gabocha!!! Your favorite flying squirrel and mine, it's Mukumuku!!!!! I wonder what he likes to eat? These 4 judges will be evaluating today's dishes!!! Okay, now let's introduce our challenger!!!!!! Today's challenger is!!!!!

Music: The Tesujin Appears

Hai Yo gets the fanfare and colored spotlights every time, but I missed the screenshot for the first duel.

ALLEZ CUISINE!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun May 25, 2014 6:29 pm

Music: 100 Second Kitchen Battle... no, wait. That's also published by Konami for use in video games, but not this game. The one we're looking for is One-Minute Showdown.

Music: Bright Curtains, the Kitchen Duel

Goetsu's Meat Pie appetizer goes over like a lead balloon, even for the meat-loving kobold on the judges' panel.

"Due to the diligent efforts of our fishermen... well, fisherman, who is also my sous chef, our icehouse is now fully-stocked with delicious seafood. With rod and line, they... sorry, he pulled in every delicious thing the ocean has to offer, even scallops and individual shrimp! These Crab Cakes are my way of saying 'thank you' for his great effort. Please enjoy it."

Next up is Goetsu's Buttered Clams...

Huh. The squirrel loves clams. They're basically tree rats and will eat anything, I realize, but a love of shellfish is new to me.

"Goetsu and I have similar ideas, it seems!" *audience and judges laugh* "This cooking duel turned out to be a true contest of skill, as I've also offered a plain Meat Pie for my main course. Please enjoy it."

Hahaha suck it Goetsu. I guess charging up the blue meter during the cooking segment really makes a big difference overall.

Now we move on to dessert, for which Goetsu offers... tomato soup?

Okay, I can see how following a dish of rich, buttery seafood with something lighter, sweeter, and acidic would be a good idea overall, but nobody in this castle likes tomato soup.

"Again, Goetsu and I had a similar idea. The final dish I've made for you is a light salad to ease the digestion after the seafood appetizer and heavy, meaty main course. This is a salad of broiled figs, goat cheese, and fresh tomatoes, in a sweet, fruity dressing. Please enjoy it."

Yikes.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun May 25, 2014 6:32 pm

Kitchen battle "Meat Pie" concludes with a solid victory by the home team.

Goetsu hands over his recipe for Buttered Clams. Mukumuku is reportedly ecstatic.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun May 25, 2014 6:45 pm

Out in Lakewest are a couple more familiar faces.

Tengaar: Oh, we'll be fine! You're a warrior from Warrior's Village. You mustn't show fear.
Hix: It's not that. I'm worried for you...
Tengaar: But you'll protect me, of course! Won't you?
Hix: Well... Yes, but...

Brought 'em along just for this little extra dialog.

Viktor: Well, we just had a little mishap.
Flik: It's your fault! We were almost killed cause of you!
Hix: Mr. Flik! Mr. Viktor! You're alive! I'm so glad...
Viktor: Sorry, sorry! I didn't mean to make you worry.
Flik: Hix, are you doing that ritual journey of manhood?
Hix: Y... Yes.
Flik: Oh yeah? Good luck!
Hix: Mr. Flik, when will you be coming home to the village?
Flik: Huh? M...me? I... Uh...
Tengaar: Shh, Hix, don't tease him! Mr. Flik still hasn't completed his journey to manhood!
Flik: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Viktor: Ha ha ha ha ha! That must be embarrassing...

Flik left on his journey of manhood, but before he could finish it, he met Odessa, fell in love, joined her resistance movement well before it blossomed into a civil war, and became a leading military force in a nation's revolution from monarchy into republic. Somehow that's still not enough, so he's still not yet a man.

Maybe he could take some tips from Amada.

Nope.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun May 25, 2014 6:58 pm

Hix: H... Hold on.... Can't we just rest for a bit?
Tengaar: What are you saying? Real men don't whine like that!
Hix: You bought all that stuff, so the bags are heavy.....
Tengaar: Well we might need it for the Test. C'mon let's go.

Hix: Do I really have to do this?
Tengaar: Of course you do! I want you to become a real man!

Chief: I know, but...
Hix: Let's just go back, Tengaar. Forget this whole Test...
Tengaar: What are you talking about!? A Unicorn will only appear in front of a 'Noble Warrior and a Pure-Hearted Maiden' If you pass the Test, it proves that you're a real warrior!

In this case, we're hoping unicorns also appear to moody tsundere and spineless wimps.

Chief: Well that's such an old custom. We really don't do that anymore.... And it's dangerous in the forest! Even our villagers aren't allowed in...
Tengaar: How can you say that....
Chief: Well, you came all this way, so I must insist you and your companions stay the night here.

Chief: That's right, buddy, you're wrapped up in this silly sidequest now.

Tengaar: Why are you so tired? You were barely carrying anything! At this rate, they'll never let you back into the Warriors' Village. I give up!
Chief: The Warrior's Village?

Muteiu: She seems really angry...
Hix: Tengaar... Actually... She's a very nice girl. Probably too nice, in fact. We were born in the Warriors' Village, and as is our custom I have to go on a quest for my manhood to be recognized. Tengaar wants to make me a great warrior, so that's what she's so excited about... This isn't the first time I've had doubts. I wonder if I can really be a warrior... I just can't get into the idea of having to fight... But if I say that to Tengaar, I know she'll get angry...
Muteiu: Don't look at me, bro, I'm a war orphan who grew up in a dojo and trained every day under a national hero. Fighting's pretty much all I'm good at. But buck up, I'm sure if you wanted to do something un-warriorlike, like... I dunno, designing stained glass windows or something? They'd let you do that.

Chief: Hmm.... well you see.... Ummm...... What happened anyway....
Tengaar: Ah-HEM!!!
Chief: Eh? Oh, yeah, that's it! It's the Curse of the Unicorn... It's uh... It's... It's a very terrible curse... It's because she spoke too freely about the Unicorn Test. This girl may never open her eyes again....
Hix: B... But... Isn't there a cure!?
Chief: A cure, hmm... Uh... What was that...

Chief: Oh yes! There is one way! You have to bring the Blue Stone, Red Flower, and Green Bell to the Unicorn's tree in the forest.
Hix: Where are these items!?
Chief: Uh, ummm... The Blue Stone... Lessee... Ah, that's right! I think maybe I heard they were selling it at the Item Store in South Window...
Hix: The South Window Item Store! Let's go right away! Please come with me, Lord Muteiu!

You can point out the obvious, but Hix is too fired up to pay any attention.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun May 25, 2014 7:07 pm

Hix: Ummm..... the Blue Stone......
Shopkeeper: Eh? Already? Ah, I mean, yes, we have it. Right this way.
Hix: Great..... Lord Muteiu, I'll pay for it. Umm, how much?
Shopkeeper: Uh well..... How about 50 potch.... No, 30 potch.
Hix: Huh? Really? Okay......... there ya go.
Shopkeeper: Thanks a lot. Come again.[/i]
Hix: Okay, that's one of 'em... Let's hurry back to the Chief of Kobold Village.

Chief: Ah, yeah, that's it, that's it! Excellent work. Okay, the Red Flower is next. The Red Flower is... ummm...
Tengaar: HACHOO!
Chief: Oh, now I remember! It's in the Cave of the Wind, south of Vania Castle.

Again, there's no pointing out how silly this all is.

Oh, how convenient! A kobold just happened to be passing by. Excuse me, sir! Would you happen to know where there are any red flowers around here?

So all that's left is the Green Bell. Let's head back to Kobold Village...

...talk to the Chief about where it might be...

*nyoom*

...did you hear something?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun May 25, 2014 7:12 pm

At this point I assume even the helpful responses are delivered with a thick tone of sarcasm.

This kobold is pretty dedicated to his job. The guy at the Cave of the Wind just dropped the flower right at the entrance. This guy's a decent way into the sewers, but he has the decency to drop the bell with an audible tinkling sound.

I assume it's because rumors are spreading about how immeasurably dense Hix is.

Chief: I'm sorry... She is gone.
Hix: Where did she go!?!?
Chief: Probably to the Unicorn Woods... If you take all three items deep into the forest and fight the Unicorn, you should find her.
Hix: Fight the Unicorn...
Chief: I've told the Forest Guards. But beware, Young Warrior, the Woods are full of monsters. If you are not a 'Noble Warrior' the Unicorn will take your life. You need to think about that.

It's a surprisingly long dungeon for such a silly sidequest.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun May 25, 2014 7:27 pm

Tengaar: Wow, you made it all the way here! Running all around for my sake, crossing the woods safely... You're already a great warrior.
Hix: Great warrior. . . Was this all just a. . .

Dude, I just used the gif of Syndrome. Come on.

Tengaar: I'm sorry, Hix.
Chief: The Holy Warrior Klift, who founded the Warrior's Village, is a legend here. When I heard you were from there, I offered to help this young lady.
Hix: Then, then... What about the Blue Stone, the Red Flower and the Green Bell?
Chief: Ho ho ho. Of course, I had the villagers help me by placing those items. Tengaar, are you really sure you want to spend your life with someone this slow? I haven't heard anyone talk about the Test of the Unicorn since I was a child. It's just an old, old fairy tale.

What a tweest! The kobolds panic and bolt.

...are you the keymaster?

Tengaar, for all her tsundere bossiness, still hides behind Hix when the unicorn shows up.

Unicorn: I will take you...
Hix: Y... you can't!!! Tengaar is...!

Unicorn: What will you do?
Hix: Uhhh...
Unicorn: You will try to stop me?
Hix: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I. . . I probably can't win. . . . I probably won't ever be a warrior. . . But. . . But. . . But. . . I. . . I will protect Tengaar!!! I have sworn it!! On this sword!!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun May 25, 2014 7:30 pm

But you can't go back to the village yet! Now it's time to repay all the help you had from me on your farce of a sidequest.

So we have yet another mediocre front-line swordsman, like we don't have plenty of those already, and a good back-row spellcaster.

It takes some running around, but I get some cabbage and spinach seeds for Tony's garden, too. The sidequesting really doesn't take all that long, you know.