Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nosimpleway

Re: Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:48 pm

While you guys vote:

Spilling the beans to Emilia (best spies ever) recruits her as the Vania Castle librarian. Like Hugo before her, she stockpiles the Old Books found throughout the game. They are:

Old Book Volume 1 is an antiques listing, with pictures and prices.

Old Book Volume 2 is "Seeker of Sindar":
I spent my life chasing the secrets of the Sindar, but here in these ruins, I've reached the end of my strength. And so I write some of what I have learned.
The Sindar area phantom race. They have been known throughout history and yet their true nature is a mystery.
They came from the northand travelled south, leaving mysterious ruins behind them.
Legends say the clan leader had a cursed rune inscribed on his forehead.
It granted eternal life but doomed the clan to a life of wandering.
They say a secret treasure lies at the heart of the ruins, but there are many traps, and most seekers find only death, like myself...

(It's found in the Sindar ruins you explore treasure-hunting with Alex.)

Old Book Volume 3 is a Rare Finds list. Minor spoilers in the list of cities you visit!

Old Book Volume 4 is a list of "Suspicious characters", with hints on how to recruit Clive, Oulan, Zamza, Killey, Hoi, Simone Verdicci, Pesmerga, Jeane, Meg, Gadget, and Genshu.

Old Book Volume 5 is "Birth of the True Runes", in case you missed it from the first game:
In the beginning there was Darkness. The Darkness lived alone for eons. Suffering in solitude for so long a time, the Darkness finally shed a Tear.
From this Tear, two brothers were born, Sword and Shield. Sword bragged that he could cut anything to pieces and to that Shield answered that nothing could ever harm him.
And so the two went to war. The battle raged for seven days and seven nights. Sword cut Shield, Shield smashed Sword.
Fragments of Sword rained down and formed the sky. Fragments of Shield rained down and formed the earth. Sparks from the battle became the stars.
The 27 jewels adorning Sword and Shield became the"27 True Runes", and the World came into being.

Old Book Volume 6 explains how trading posts work, but I've done that already.

Old Book Volume 7 describes the Gate Rune Wars:
The war in which the Toran Republic defeated the Scarlet Moon Empire is known as the "Gate Rune War" or the "Liberation War".
The first leader of the victorious Liberation Army was a woman named Odessa Silverburg. She was originally imperial nobility, but her lover was killed by the Empire and so she joined the Resistance and formed the Liberation Army.
The original members were Flik, Humphrey and Sanchez, but according to another member, Viktor, the later victories were due to the intervention of McDohl, son of the 6th imperial general.
During the war, Odessa was killed and McDohl took over leadership of the Liberation Army. McDohl followed the advice of General Mathiu and set up Toran Castle as the New Liberation Army base. After many battles, they succeeded in overthrowing Emperor Barbarossa. However after helping form a new nation, McDohl journeyed off to somewhere without ever seeing the fruits of his long labor.

Old Book Volume 8 is a little background information on Tinto and the Grasslands:
The Grasslands are a grassy plain stretching from the western part of Tinto to the north. Many different peoples live there, and are trying to take control of it.
Tinto plans on more raids in the future, but they're hindered by the Grasslanders, particularly the Karaya and Chisya Clans as well as the Free Knights of Camaro.
Recently, border attacks by a group of thieves called "The Keepers of the Flame" have increased.

The Grasslands are the setting for Suikoden 3, which was already in its early planning stages when this game was released.

Old Book Volume 9 is a list of hints on where to find hammers. There's only one blacksmith to recruit in the game, and his skills are expanded by giving him new hammers to forge with. But we don't have him yet, so.

Old Books Volumes 10 and 11 are lists of vegetables and livestock, and where to find them.

Old Book Volume 12 is a list of recipes and hints on where to find them.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:55 pm

And... oh, you didn't think you'd get away with having an update without a cooking contest right?

Ryuki: Ha ha ha. That was a poison extracted from 10 species of spiders found only in the nameless countries north of Zexen. If she doesn't get an antidote within 30 minutes, she will die!!! Now Hai Yo, return the 'thing' that you stole!
Hai Yo: Ohhh....... I..... I won't give it to you!!!
Flik: What are you saying, Hai Yo!! Barbara's life is in danger!!!
Hai Yo: Ohhh... but, but.... I just can't!!!!!
Ryuki: So you won't return it, eh. Here's what we'll do. You and I will have a contest!!! If you win, I'll give you the antidote. I'll also give you a recipe according to 'Group' rules. But if I win, you must give me that 'thing'. Do you accept the challenge!!!!

You know the drill.

For all the ceremony surrounding the cooking contests, the scenery and music don't change enough to keep a Let's Play all that interesting. Having described several in detail I'm okay glossing over things a bit.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:07 pm

Ryuki opens with an egg congee. It's... okay.

"Our KISS Army finally found someone to raise and butcher livestock for us. With my pantries and iceboxes finally fully stocked, I decided to celebrate with some of my favorite dishes made possible by our new additions. I sure am glad none of you are vegetarians!" *audience and judges laugh politely* "To begin, this is a delicate quiche, made with the freshest cream and eggs. Please enjoy it."

You guys just don't like eggs much, huh?

Tetsu on the end there is described as liking traditional Japanese food, but he doesn't seem to care much for tempura. Huh.

"There's nothing quite like high-grade, grass-finished beef. People ask 'Why have hamburger when you can have steak?', but in this case, I took the finest cuts of beef I had, ground them down, and lightly seasoned the patty. It doesn't take much to accent the natural flavor and juiciness of good beef... but a few fried potatoes on the side don't hurt. Please enjoy it."

Whoops, I was a bit slow on the screenshot so the screen was going dark in scene transition, but the hamburger goes over quite well with the judges.

Ryuki finishes with a kid's lunch. It's hard to tell what it is by screenshot alone, but it's a variation on the Rice Omelet recipe with sugar added. So... a sweetened pork omelet.

The judges aren't very impressed.

"To utilize meat in a dessert can be quite tricky! To balance the bold, savory flavors with the sweetness people look for to end the meal... it's not an easy task to balance. So I fell back on eggs once more, I'm afraid! *audience and judges laugh* "This is a rolled Japanese omelet called tamagoyaki, sweetened just a little. Please enjoy it."

Hai Yo does a better dessert omelet than Ryuki.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:09 pm

Personally I'm a little surprised that all took less than half an hour.

Ryuki then commits suicide, right in the middle of the dining room. Man, is that really necessary? Who's going to mop this up?

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:08 pm

nosimpleway wrote:Old Book Volume 7 describes the Gate Rune Wars:
The war in which the Toran Republic defeated the Scarlet Moon Empire is known as the "Gate Rune War" or the "Liberation War".
The first leader of the victorious Liberation Army was a woman named Odessa Silverburg. She was originally imperial nobility, but her lover was killed by the Empire and so she joined the Resistance and formed the Liberation Army.
The original members were Flik, Humphrey and Sanchez, but according to another member, Viktor, the later victories were due to the intervention of McDohl, son of the 6th imperial general.
During the war, Odessa was killed and McDohl took over leadership of the Liberation Army. McDohl followed the advice of General Mathiu and set up Toran Castle as the New Liberation Army base. After many battles, they succeeded in overthrowing Emperor Barbarossa. However after helping form a new nation, McDohl journeyed off to somewhere without ever seeing the fruits of his long labor.

If you imported data from the first game, this is where it starts to get screwy. The book is supposed to replace "McDohl" and "Toran" with the custom names of the hero and the castle you chose in the first game, but it only replaces capital letters. My first time through the hero was referred to here as "HcDohl". Given the bizarre and inconsistent quality of the localization, I assumed it was just a translation error, until my brother's game came up with "ScDRhl", at which point I spotted the pattern.

The McDohl bug doesn't apply on this playthrough. But I forget, does the castle name work the same way? Does it say "Woran" up there when you open it up?

François

Postby François » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:20 pm

Man, every time I see Teresa's portrait I get confused because it looks like Jowy from a different angle.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:44 am

Nobody voted for you, Nanami.

It's true. You got zero votes. Shin got better representation than you.

Actually, you... make a fair point. The only person in this party with a decent chance in a fight is Clive, assuming the monsters are smart enough not to wake up Sid. But votes are votes, and I'm sticking to them.

Nanami forces her way into the two-person convoy instead of the active party. If I didn't have her along to shout directions and plot points at me, how would I know what was going on?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:58 am

Oh, and somewhere along the way I got enough people to upgrade the castle's theme music! It's now A Bustling Town.

There's a suggestion box by the elevator.

That is... not a suggetion. Perhaps I should just call it a 'letterbox'? This is pretty unlikely to have any influence on the game overall, but there it is.

Wow, his skills really have grown! The blacksmith in Kuskus can sharpen weapons up to level 11 now, but... I don't have the money to do that for everyone.

Hans! What's the change on a couple of Scale Mails, one for me to fix up... nah, not for me. Put it on Clive, then the next one goes to...

Ah, thank you, sir! Futzing around with your inventory in a certain way in Hans' shop will cause an underrun error in the game's memory address that stores your money. The end result is maximum cash. It's a hell of a lot faster than playing Chinchironin!

So with everyone's weapons as sharp as they can be to this point, we're off to Matilda, via Greenhill, via Two River. It's quite a walk.

But while we're in Two River, we can find that Jeane has escaped the occupation of Greenhill and has returned to her shop. We can and do recruit her there for easy rune access back at base.

The vendors back at base -- Alex's item shop, Hans' armor shop, and now Jeane's runemaster -- allow you to buy and sell items from any shop of the same kind you've visited already. So while I was running around Two River and Greenhill, Hans and Alex were selling better stuff than usual, since I'd already been to Highway Village and Rockaxe. They never have Rare Finds, but having the nearest shop constantly updated with the best gear available for sale is convenient.

The major convenience, however, is that you can manipulate the inventories of people recruited into your army but not in your active party. You may have noticed in the screenshots of Hans' shop glitch that Flik was there at the bottom of the list, even though I don't have him with me now. From Hans' shop you can manage the armor of everyone in the army, from Alex's shop you can give anyone you want medicine or protective talismans, from Barbara's vault you can do both but not buy new gear. I mention this now because from Jeane's runemaster shop, you can pull runes off and slap runes on anybody anytime. It's a major time-saver, and lets me recover, say, the Double-Beat rune I put on Shiro way back at the start of the game and then forgot about.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:08 am

When you get to the Matilda checkpoint, Nanami asks if you're still mad she came along. I've never seen this before -- I usually go the whole game with Nanami in my party, like keeping Cleo around in the first game -- so I responded yes without realizing there was even a prompt.

Just inside the forest path is a man of very few words.

It's infested with monsters, of course. I'll be back here in a little while to grind, because Zombie Slugs drop a new recipe, and Papa Holly drops a seedling potato for Tony.

Also on the path are DoReMi Elves, given the more boring name of "SongSprite" in later games. They attack with pitch-perfect blasts of sound, each one with a certain note in the musical scale. They can combine three at a time for a party-blasting harmony, and if all of them are alive, they can do a six-elf combo that takes so long it has its own theme music and hurts a whole goddamn lot.

Aw shit ya woke up Sid!

Sid's auto-berserk puts his damage output at pretty amazing levels -- Muteiu can hit for about 90 damage per tonfa, and Stallion and Clive about 140-150 with each shot. For comparison, each one of Sid's diving attacks does about 300 damage, well over 500 if he crits. Chaco is right to be terrified of him.

This is about the point I realized that this is the party of really lengthy attack animations. Stallion and Clive just raise their weapons and fire, but both Chaco and Sid take a moment to flap into the air before diving at their target. Nina spins at her target with her book belt a-flailin', and stops to show how dizzy she gets after each hit. Muteiu's pretty swift overall, but he still hits twice per strike, and then strikes twice thanks to his Double-Beat rune. Combat in Suikoden 2 is pretty fast, but everyone's doing their best to slow it down!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:17 am

Just like in the first game, Viki appears out of nowhere, not even sure how she arrived. She's holding a knife and fork because she happened to sneeze in the middle of the celebration dinner party for the Toran Republic's liberation, and when Viki sneezes, her teleport misfires.

The second game takes place three years after the first, the third game fifteen years after that, and the fourth game over a hundred years before the rest, and the fifth a few years before the first. Some characters recur throughout the series; you get to watch Futch grow from a bratty apprentice to a full-fledged hunky dragon knight over the first three games. Each game has a Jeane, and it's never made clear if it's all the same woman who's some sort of ageless eldritch creature or if there's a strong resemblance between them despite being different individuals, like Officer Jenny from Pokemon.

Viki is the only character to jump straight from one game to the next, in the order of release rather than in-game chronological order. No wonder she's so confused.

If you tell Viki to come with you, she joins the party before teleporting everyone back to base. Which is probably not what you meant!

But since Viki can teleport you anywhere you've been before, it means Rockaxe castle is already on her list, and I can skip the rest of the checkpoint path. Hee hee.

Before that, I head to Highway Village.

Oh, sure, thanks! I'll call her... Salzbry.

Kent's mother makes a mean Obento boxed lunch, too.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:29 am

Man with Half a Mustache: Um... um...
Clive: Do you know her?
1/2: I think that sounds familiar... That's right, some woman I'd never seen before came in here... Great butt, I'd say. But when I tried to talk to her... Yeah, she just suddenly kicked us down, then whipped out this magic object and blew off my beautiful mustache! No way I'd forget that!

MISANDRY

Clive: And do you remember where she went then?
1/2: Yeah, I remember, I remember!! Let's see... Uh, I think it was...
Clive: Am I gonna have to blow off the other half of your mustache?
1/2: No, hold up, I got it! I remember now... It was... Uh... Radat Town, I think?
Clive: Radat... I'll get her this time.

Radat? I can get there from here, right now! I mean it's a long walk there, but getting back won't be an issue with Viki around. Let's do it!

Inn Master: Y, yes? What can I do for you?
Clive: Do you know a woman named Elza? She's tall with blonde hair.
Master: Umm...... I........ err......... Well ya see......
Clive: Do you know her!!!
Master: Umm... well it could be....
Clive: What?
Master: That person over there...

No wonder Clive has such trouble finding Elza. She's sitting down to lunch, making no effort to hide, and he walks right by her to talk to someone else.

Clive: It's you!.....finally. Now I'll bring this to an end...
Elza: Here? You'll hit the customers. The Guild won't like their reputation being damaged like that, y'know.

The public-house patrons obligingly panic and leave.

Clive: ...................... Listen up, you criminal.... For the murder of my fellow Gunner and Guild member, Kelley.... In the name of my gun, Storm, I sentence you to death.
Elza: Hey Clive....... We used to be more than friends... Couldn't you just let me go?
Clive: Don't say it...... Murdering a Guild Gunner, stealing a gun and fleeing.... According to Harmonia law, both crimes are punishable by death.
Elza: Tsk...... laws mean nothing. Do you really believe in anything besides the weight of your guns?
Clive: Maybe I can believe again.... Once I kill you, that is.......
Elza: ..................... Fine then. Let's go. A duel between Gunners.
Clive: Wrong!!!! You're a criminal and I'm an executioner!!!!
Elza: Whatever you say!!!!

And thus Clive is removed from the Stone Tablet of Promise.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:37 am

Nah, we have a good doctor.

Anyway, having done that, I give Clive a bit of a vacation and sub out for Wakaba.

Because after Clive had his conversation with Half-Mustache, I found Long Chan Chan sitting at one of the tables at the inn, having a bowl of rice. Wakaba's looking for that guy, remember? But when I return with her, he's already gone, so I can't recruit him yet. I don't know why the game fakes you out like that.

Anyway, after you go through the forest path, you find an escort waiting for you.

Miklotov: I am Miklotov, Captain of the Blue Knights. I am here to greet you.
Nanami: Oh! I was right! It's the guy we met in Muse!
Miklotov: Met in Muse... Ah, at Jowston Hill... I apologize for that, but at that time I had no idea of the man Lord Muteiu would become. Please allow me to escort you to our castle.

You have to meet Miklotov in the woods before you can talk to Gorudo, but had I wanted to I could have teleported to Rockaxe, walked past him into the woods, and turned around to trigger his escort cutscene. (I did in fact walk past his retinue returning to Radat from Highway Village for the Clive shootout.)

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:42 am

Gorudo: The rumors that your army managed to best Highland must be gross exaggerations at best.
Muteiu: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Gorudo: The Muse Army were such pathetic cowards. We sent troops to save them, but Muse fell before they even arrived!

You can call Gorudo out, but as you might imagine he's not actually listening.

Gorudo: I say that because, like Muse, you're a leader of a tiny army futilely battling Highland. You'll probably meet the same fate. Probably. Camus, see Lord Muteiu and his party to a guest room. Let them rest a while, then escort them to the border. Our business is done.

And now you see why I wasn't in any particular hurry to get here.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:11 pm

There's some :words: before we head off to bed.

And even more :words: when you're trying to get some shut-eye.

When you get up, there's already stuff happening. You could have been here from the start if you didn't have to stay up so late listening to people blather!

Miklotov: The Highland Army has appeared at the Matilda-Muse border.
Camus: So they've finally come to give us a chance to prove our valor?
Gorudo: What the hell...? Do they intend to invade us? I can't imagine they'd attack now.
Miklotov: No, it seems the Highland Army is pursuing refugees from Muse. The refugees must be trying to flee to Matilda... Lord Gorudo, we must mobilize to save the refugees immediately!
Gorudo: Hmmmmm... I see. Prepare to mobilize.

What a surprisingly decent thing to do!

You're given the choice whether to go, but I'm pretty sure if you refuse then Nanami just yells at you for being heartless.

So off we go.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:18 pm

The refugees are attack 0 and defense 1. Even so, most of the regular Highland soldiers plink against them uselessly for several turns. Luca's own White Wolf army units do better...

...And Jowy, with Seed and Culgan in tow, is completely merciless.

Gorudo: We will do no such thing. Hold your position, Miklotov.
Miklotov: What are you saying!? They're being slaughtered in front of us! It would sully our reputations as knights if we just sit idly by!
Gorudo: It's happening outside of our territory. We have no right to intervene. It's more important that we bolster our defenses. Let no one past the border, refugee or otherwise.
Miklotov: You're ordering us to watch them die!?! I can't... I won't...
Gorudo: Are you saying you intend to disobey an order? Have you no devotion to your lord, Miklotov?
Camus: Miklotov...
Miklotov: Damn. . . . . . . . . . . .

One refugee group does the smart thing and runs into the forest where the cavalry has some trouble keeping up, but are eventually slain. As Gorudo said, even if they got to the Matilda gate, they couldn't get in -- this is a battle without a victory condition.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:23 pm

Did you ever break any of your ribs sucking your own dick like that?

Once ordered to stand down, Miklotov and Camus get into an argument in the corridor outside.

And once Miklotov storms out, Camus asks for your help in keeping Miklotov safe in enemy territory.

And Miklotov joins up to keep incognito, but is instantly recognized. Thankfully, Camus sent word ahead and we don't have to worry about it.

The Muse area is filled with monsters a hell of a lot more dangerous than the spiders and kamaitachi I ran into before.

But wait! Something's happening!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:31 pm

Not my video, so there's a bit of warm-up at the start that I covered in the last post. And in case you want to skip that, here's a summary:

Music: Sacrificial Feast

The clouds part...

...and we get a good look at Muse City.

Until a black cloud starts swirling up from the city streets...

...pulling tiny motes of blue light with it...

...into the shape of a giant ghost wolf!

Correction! Two giant ghost wolves!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:35 pm

Music: Tension

Jowy: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Luca: What's wrong? Don't you think it's beautiful? Weren't you also born without the legitimate blood of your father?
Jowy: Why would you ask that...?
Luca: Because you interest me. Your eyes are different from the eyes of those other pigs. Just below the surface, I see the darkness inside you. You must feel it too.
Jowy: But I.... I am grateful to my father for taking me in. Frankly, your approval fills me with shame.

Luca doesn't let Jowy bum him out, and goes back to enjoying the show.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:38 pm

There's only one survivor, who gives us a brief description of what happened...

...before passing away himself.

Having done that, there's nothing else to see in Muse. The White Deer Inn is empty, too; the paths through Toto and into Greenhill are blocked, and Coronet is still on lockdown.

Yeah, not even Gorudo's enough of a douchenozzle to ignore frickin' genocide.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:52 pm

Miklotov: Yes... I met Lord Muteiu on the way, and we travelled together. But never mind that, where is Lord Gorudo?
Camus: Did something happen? It's not like you to be so imperious.
Miklotov: Something happened! I only know fragments of the story, but those Highland dogs are doing something horrible!!!
Camus: Calm yourself. A knight should know how to control his temper.
Miklotov: You don't understand! Out of my way, Camus! This emotion can't be controlled!

Music: A Man Named Gordeau
(Which, yes, would be a better translation of Gorudo's name. You know how Final Fantasy Tactics mangled "Delacroix" into "Draclau"? Same thing.)

Miklotov: Lord Gorudo, I have a request. Please let me take the Army, or even just my own Blue Knight Squadron, to invade Muse.
Gorudo: Are you mad? Why should we do that? Highland has no intention of fighting with us, but you want to start a war with them?
Miklotov: The Highland Army gathered all the people of Muse and the nearby towns, and sacrificed them in some bizarre ritual! It was a massacre! We can't go on pretending not to see what's happening! What of our honor as Knights!?
Gorudo: I don't know what you saw, but we Knights have a responsibility to govern this land. We can't send its people into danger.
Miklotov: You can't think Highland will leae us be for long! When the other State cities fall, Luca Blight will come to destroy us!!!
Gorudo: Silence! This 'massacre' you're babbling about, did you actually see it with your own eyes?
Miklotov: No, but, but... We know they captured all the refugees...
Gorudo: Shut up! You speak of 'Knight's Honor?' As a Knight Captain, didn't you pledge to me, by the emblem on your chest, your undying loyalty? Is breaking that pledge part of a 'Knight's Honor'?
Miklotov: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I did... swear to you by this Emblem... But this is my true 'Knight's Honor'.
Gorudo: If that's the way you want it, fine. Now get out of my sight!
Miklotov: Breaking a pledge... Breaking a pledge of loyalty is a Knight's highest disgrace... But... But I am... I am... I am!!! I am a Human first and a Knight second!!! I don't need your title! I resign myself to your disgrace! But I will never forgive you!!! I can never look idly by while lives are being thrown away!!!

Music: Heart-Softening BGM 2. Yeah, another one.

*rrrrip*

Miklotov's Knight emblem makes a plinking sound as it hits the marble floor.