Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nosimpleway

Re: Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:28 pm

There's nothing going on in the great hall, so you're left to explore the castle until the next plot point comes up. If you meet Nanami in your bedroom, she's mulling over Shu returning Pilika to Jow-- er, "Joei".

Koyu: Hey, anybody know where he is? That guy Muteiu is here, isn't he?! I've got to see him!!!

Muteiu: That's right.

I'm sure this scene would have gone very differently if Koyu had run into Hoi first.

Koyu: Really??? What great luck. Now I can help my brothers. Hey Muteiu, I have a favor to ask... oops! Oh no, this is terrible, you told me and I forgot. Right, manners. I shouldn't forget my manners.

Koyu: I came to make a request of Lord Muteiu who resides here. Please, please help my siblings. That is my request.

It makes a little more sense in Japan, where Koyu starts out talking like a bumpkin, then goes into using very formal speech patterns by the end. It's harder to indicate the shift from casual speech to very polite speech in English, and it may not surprise you to learn the translator didn't have enough time and effort to properly localize it.

Koyu: Let me tell you. We are the three Lampdragon bandits. There's my brother Gijimu and sister Lo Wen and me. We were living a carefree life north of Tinto, and the Highland Army occupied Greenhill and started ruining our area. We couldn't just stand and watch, so we tried to drive them out. They were afraid of us, the three Lampdragon bandits, and they ran away once. Just when we thought everything was alright, these strange guys attacked. What could they be? These pale faced guys that looked like dead people attacked. They die when you cut them, and they don't even say 'Ouch!'!!
Viktor: No, not zombies!!!
Koyu: Yeah, that's what Marlowe was saying, too. Oh no, now we're done for. That's why I've come here. I, Koyu, bow my head and beg you. Ummm... I came here to have Lord Muteiu hear our request. Please, please help my siblings. That is my request.
Viktor: Zombies... it must be Neclord...
Apple: Neclord made zombie soldiers in the 'Gate Rune War' in the Scarlet Moon Empire too, so you're probably right.

Uh, Viktor knows that, Apple. He was there.

Viktor: Mr. Strategist, we need to check on this. I can't believe Neclord would be aiming only for one mountain bandit territory.
Ridley: The goal must be Tinto.
Shu: But we can't send our troops out recklessly. It's dangerous to send a big troop into a ravine.
Viktor: Come on, just you and I will be enough. Let's do it, Muteiu.
Koyu: Please, I beg of you. Help my brother and sister. With things as they are, the stronghold will fall.

Uh, we already agreed to do it. You can stop begging now.

We take Nanami, too. I'm keeping the same party that went to Muse: Muteiu and Nanami are required; Sid, Bob, and Sheena make up the optional recruits. The only difference is that Viktor has replaced Chaco.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:41 pm

Drakemouth is a tiny village in the mountains southwest of Two River and its Kobold Village. I've been here once before -- I think there's a piglet for sale that I picked up, something like that -- but it wasn't worth screencapping the visit.

Now that we have Koyu here to convince the Tinto guard to, you know, not ignore his duty or anything, just maybe now's a good time to step off behind a tree and take a piss, maybe?, we can get into the mountains.

One slight downside to having Sheena specced out to be a melee beast is that I put a Fire rune on his sword. Normally that increases his damage by 25%, but against enemies immune to fire, not even the sword's edge does anything anymore.

Whoa. Dig those sideburns, Wolverine.

Koyu: Brother Gijimu... it can't be...
Gijimu: What a disgrace. We didn't think they'd come for a while, and all of a sudden a big force showed up. Then, when we looked closely, we saw our own followers mixed in.

Yeah, Neclord has an established fondness for the old "See anybody you recognize?" joke. It must be him.

Gijimu: We couldn't put an axe to them... We burned the barricade, and destroyed roads and bridges as we escaped so they couldn't follow.
Koyu: That makes me think, what happened to my sister, Lo Wen?
Gijimu: Sorry, but everyone was scattered as we escaped, so I don't know what happened. She's not the type to be done in easily, though.
Koyu: And where are the brothers?
Gijimu: We can't take things lying down, and it looks like the zombies are heading toward Tinto. I don't like the idea, but I think we'll fight together with Gustav in Tinto.
Koyu: Sorry, Lord Muteiu. After you came here to help...
Gijimu: What, is this Lord Muteiu? Glad to meet you. I am Gijimu, a mountain bandit boss. Sorry this is what happened after you came to help. We're planning to go to Tinto, but why don't you come with us? They probably won't listen to us bandits, but if you who defeated Luca say something, that Gustav will listen.
Viktor: We've already started. This is a good chance, Lord Muteiu. Let's go to Tinto. If they feel it relates to them, the people of Tinto can't turn away from the issue. If things go well, you can get them to fight on our side.

Yeah, we've been getting rejected by Tinto since we set up base, and now we have a way to sneak in. Not surprisingly we have to pull their nuts out of the fire with their own problem first, but that's typical.

The Two River side of the pass is verdant forest. The Tinto side is... uh... slightly less so.

Opposite the village of Drakemouth is the village of Tigermouth, for those of you who can appreciate a good dragon/tiger I Ching reference when one presents itself.

There's not much in this village either, so I head on my way after picking up the adorable baby chick and a tomato seedling from some guy giving those away.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:53 pm

Tinto is a rocky, kinda desolate mountain valley filled with spooky skeletons.

Along the way we stop by Crom village, but there's about as much to do here as there was in Tigermouth. I guess now's as good a time as any to mention that the music for all the towns in this area is Withered Earth.

Tenkou lives in Crom, and joins up to change the game interface if you bring him a Window Set.

You sort of wonder how the people around here eat. There's no greenery, no pastures, no verdant fields of wheat or paddies or rice. I guess there's some fishing to be done in the river, but I don't see it supporting much of a population. Maybe they raise herd goats on the scrub that grows on the mountainsides?

Then you remember this is a video game, and the developers probably never stopped to consider the issue at all.

"A mine with a town attached" is a pretty good way to describe Tinto. It's more of a work zone that happens to have some houses on it than the sort of city you'd see in Greenhill or Muse.

As you might expect from a town where hard-labor tools have to be in the best shape possible, the blacksmith here is top-notch. I have to go steal another armload of cash from Hans to get everyone's weapons sharpened to level 13.

There's a proper elevator for the mine, and a nearby miner to lampshade where it came from.

Raura is here because she got lost on her way to Two River. She's looking for Jeane, see, because Jeane wanted to ask Raura about making rune scrolls. That's what Raura does. She's a scrollmaker. So we give her directions to Vania Castle, and despite wandering off in the wrong direction again, she manages to get back to the castle before we do.

Tinto is the first city in the game to have a church. We're fighting undead monsters. How much you wanna bet this place becomes plot-relevant later?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:09 pm

Gustav is mayor and head of the mining guild -- in Tinto, the two jobs are the same thing. So we head to the guild office to see him.

Guard: What? Wait here.
Viktor: Until now these guys never thought they'd be attacked. It's true they're surrounded by mountains, making a natural fortress, but a corpse doesn't care if a road is flat or not.
Koyu: Heh, all they've cared about up to this point is saving their own necks, so they deserve it.
Returning Guard: It looks like Master Gustav will see you. Go in and wait in the room at the end of the hall. Hurry up.

Gustav: You have such thin arms. In Tinto there are boys your age with arms twice as big. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Considering Muteiu is a career martial artist and soldier, that's... actually saying a lot.

Gustav: But, Lord Mutiu, I have never seen a youth with eyes like yours. You have seen many things, I can tell. Well, Lord Muteiu, about the reason you came here...
Viktor: I'll be straight with you. Let's join forces. Up until now you've ignored our KISS Army, but I won't dwell on that. I know the zombies are coming this way. What do you think? We can lend a hand.
Gustav: Well, you certainly were 'straight'. It is true that we did not lend a hand to your KISS Army. We never thought you would defeat Luca Blight, you see. But we recognize your strength now. We want reinforcements to face this enemy. Lord Muteiu, won't you lend your strength to Tinto?

Why would you even give the option to back out now?

Gustav: If your KISS Army and Tinto join forces, we can drive the Highland Army out tomorrow. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

The fact that Gustav's laughter ends in a period and not the game's typical multiple exclamation points makes it seem monotone, robotic, and creepy.

...ew.

Koyu goes to do that. Gustav calls Marlowe to show us to a room for the night.

Marlowe: That... Lord Muteiu... You're the Lord Muteiu who's the leader of the KISS Army, right? Wow, you're the strong warrior who defeated that Luca Blight... You're about the same age as me, too. How did you get so strong? I'm always reading books, and I'm not strong at all, so everyone makes fun of me.

It's probably because that robe-and-jacket combo makes it look like you're wearing a skirt. That's pretty typical of the fashion you'd expect from a quasi-medieval gameworld, I suppose -- pants weren't really a thing for non-nobility until industrial manufacturing started taking off -- but I wouldn't wanna be the guy who wore a skirt all the time in a mining town full of manly, strong, super-masculine, powerful, testosterone-laden, 100% heterosexual workers like everyone keeps reminding me Tinto is.

"I mean, I did have a bunch of archers, some of my best fighters, and a bunch of squirrels ambush Luca before I beat him to death in a one-on-one duel. Uh, twice."

Marlowe: That's a lie. After all... you're not like me. A leader who can lead everyone, and strong enough to defeat enemies like monsters... Lord Muteiu, you're like a hero in my book. Oh, sorry, talking like that. Well, I'll be going.

And so off to bed we go.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:19 pm

Viktor: You slept late this morning. Ridley and Klaus arrived this morning or so. It seems they had gotten to Drakemouth Village, I guess they're good at making arrangements.

Klaus: Lord Muteiu, I've been ordered by Lord Shu to help Lord Ridley as a strategist.
Gijimu: Lord Muteiu, we also met with Koyu on our journey. We'll fight together with you.
Gustav: Lord Muteiu, did you sleep well last night? It's amazing that everyone has gathered. The soldiers of Tinto City, the KISS Army, the 3 Lampdragon bandits, and Muse's...

And a six-year-old girl.

Gustav: Oh, what happened, Lilly?
Nanami: Father...
Gustav: Ha ha ha ha, this is my lovely only daughter.
Lilly: Father!! They say that monsters have come!! They say that scary goblins have come! Father! Father! Drive them away!!
Gustav: Don't worry, leave it to me.

Neclord: It's a glorious day isn't it?
Viktor: So it's you, Neclord!!!

Yeah, surprise!

Neclord: Dear me, look at this. You're a stubborn one, aren't you?
Viktor: You've joined forces with the Highland Army!!!
Neclord: Joined forces? Highland Army??? No, no, it has nothing to do with that. It's just that I thought how nice it would be to create my very own kingdom here in the mountains. Thus, Lord Gustav and citizens, I'd like you all to leave. Of course if you become a zombie you can stay in my kingdom.
Gustav: You think I'm going to let you make our Tinto City into a kingdom of zombies?!!!
Neclord: You don't seem to understand. I don't want too many zombies in my corpse kingdom, but you would make a fine addition in any case. Now let us do battle!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

A period at the end, again. Are you mocking Gustav's monotone robot-laugh?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:32 pm

Gustav: Ah, I'm sorry, Lilly

Gustav: Oh, you've come back, Lord Jess and Lord Hauser. How did things go? Did you gather enough soldiers?
Jess: We succeeded in gathering about 5000 soldiers including the soldiers who escaped from Greenhill and Muse as well as citizens who wanted to join. But when we came back to report, we suddenly find Muteiu and his group here. What's going on?
Gustav: Lord Muteiu has agreed to fight together with us in Tinto as leader of the KISS Army.
Jess: What are you saying?!! The KISS Army?!! You're all being deceived!
Viktor: What?! What do you mean by that?!!!
Jess: He's not part of the State He's a spy for Highland which is putting us through all this. Leader of the KISS Army? You never know what he's plotting!!
Viktor: For God's sake, Jess!!!

Yeah, you think I'm just raising an army to fight off the invasion led by Luca Blight to further my own personal ambitions? You think I'm shooting for the throne of Highland by killing off the entire royal family after attaining a high rank in the military? Well... well... well... what are the odds that two people are doing that? Huh?

Viktor: What proof do you have to say that?! You don't know the hardships Muteiu has been through!!!
Nanami: Well, that's right... We're not doing this because we like to...
Jess: You want proof? I have proof. I saw him! When Muse fell, he was in the room where Lady Annabelle lay dead! He's the one who killed Lady Annabelle!

There's a brief flashback, in case you forgot.

Jess: Muteiu!! Can you explain this?
Muteiu: I.... Jowy was.....
Jess: Are you placing guilt on a friend? What a great leader you are!
Ridley: Lord Jess, I'm going to tell you as the general of Two River. I will not have you insult our leader further.
Jess: Hmmm... I'll be leaving...

Gustav: ...facing Neclord.
Klaus: Let's continue our discussion then. If Neclord attacks...

Yeah, let's go to sleep.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:38 pm

Nanami: I'm Nanami. You're little Lilly, aren't you?
Lilly: No. I'm not little Lilly, I'm Lilly. I'm not a kid.

Shut up, you're six. I'll call you Lilly-chan if I want.

Nanami: Oh, I see. What are you doing, Lilly?
Lilly: I'm trying to find my father. Where did he go?
Nanami: Do you like your father, Lilly?
Lilly: Yes! I love him! My father is very strong. I'm going to find my father now.

Nanami: Hey, Muteiu... No... it's not worth bothering over.

Jess: No, I don't want to fight. But remember, Muteiu, I don't trust you. There's the matter of Annabelle, and besides that, it should be members of the City-State who save the State. That's what I think.

bu-dehhhhh

I bet you won't...

...because I bet someone else is going to wake me up first.

"Don't be sidetracked by this zombie/vampire nonsense. The game plot is still continuing." As usual, Leknaat doesn't say much of substance.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:49 pm

Music: Moonlit Night Theme

Nanami: ............. It's awfully quiet. It was this quiet during the night, too. Here we are... nothing but fighting. So what do you think of what Jess said? Where do we belong... Everybody took care of us well in Highland, but they were distant somehow... It seemed strange at the time, but now I feel like... I understand the reason. Even now I can hardly believe that Grandpa Genkaku was an State hero... Then we were driven out of Highland and came to the State... But when you think about it, we really don't belong to the State either... Hey... Muteiu...
Nanami: ......... No, I won't bother...
Nanami: No, I guess I'll say it... Muteiu... Let's stop this fighting... There's no reason for you to keep fighting... We fight, we get hurt, we wield weapons, we kill people, there's no reason to do these things. Why? Why, Muteiu? There are others more suited for the job! Viktor, Flik, Shu, General Ridley, Freed...

...really?

Nanami: There's no reason for you to fight, Muteiu... If we keep going on like this, you and Jowy...

Pay attention, because you're not on rails in this conversation, and your responses matter.

Nanami: Hey, Muteiu... Let's go, somewhere... Let's escape to somewhere far, far away where no one has ever heard of Highland and the City-State. Things would work out. I'll make sure they do, so let's go live somewhere quiet. When the excitement cools down... We'll bring Jowy back... and live together... Like in the old days... when Grandpa was still around... You and Jowy...

You know what? You're right. I fight, I save people, I do my damnedest, I'm up against my best friend, and I can't even get a decent night's sleep without some mysterious woman teleporting into my room to mutter cryptically at me for what seems like ages. And then Jess blows up in my face about something I didn't even do? Fuck that, fuck him, fuck this, fuck it. We're outta here.

Nanami: Yeah, things will be alright. Viktor, Shu, and General Ridley are here, so things will work out. Jowy... you'll come back someday, right? No. Let's promise to come back for Jowy.

Nanami rejoins the party, makes sure we haven't left anything behind, and catches herself at the last minute.

Stands to reason, you're not going to go back to Vania anyway.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:58 pm

Bob and Sheena rejoin on the way out. Sid is nowhere to be seen. So we sneak out of Tinto and journey to Crom, where...

Nanami: No way! They already found us?!
Villager: You're spies!!
Nanami: What? What? Spies???
Villager: Don't play innocent with me. Isn't it true that Tinto fell because of a spy disguised as a Muse soldier?!!
Nanami: Tinto?!! No! No! No!

So we're dragged to the village chief, who...

...barely gets a word out before Koyu shows up.

Koyu: Lord Muteiu, We heard that Tinto had suffered a surprise attack and were worried, but leave it to you to survive!! I wonder if Viktor and Klaus will be here soon. Who, me? Klaus asked me to carry a message, and I was saved by the fact that I'd left Tinto.

Uh, me too.

So we do. There's a short sequence where you have to walk instead of run, since running makes too much noise and gets you noticed trying to leave. This ends once you get downstairs, so I wonder why they bothered at all.

Marlowe: A, yes. I'm fine. I ran a bit, so I'm a little tired.
Koyu: Heh, that's why I'm always saying you have to make yourself strong!! When the need arises, it's these muscles that will come in handy.
Marlowe: Yes, you're right. You're amazing, Koyu.
Koyu: By the way, it's great that you managed to escape!!
Marlowe: Oh, yes. When the zombies showed up in Tinto, I hid in a chest, and no one found me. At night, I snuck through a mining tunnel and escaped. I remembered the map of the mining tunnel, so I managed to get back to ground.
Koyu: That was lucky. I'm sure that the 'books' you're always mentioning came in handy.
Marlowe: ... but wheN I peeked out of the chest, I saw something.
Koyu: What?
Marlowe: Gustav's daughter Lilly and your sister Lo Wen being taken away by Neclord.
Koyu: What?!!! My sister Lo Wen was captured?!!

"God, they never shut up. Let's go back to sleep."

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:12 pm

Oh, you're so delightfully wacky!

Which is welcome comic relief from people getting eaten by zombies outside.

You're given not one but two prompts to stay and fight rather than escape, or to help that guy specifically or run away.

Funny thing about zombies is that they come straight up out of the ground to ambush you.

Koyu! You know, if Chaco had been half as useful in his introductory scenario, I probably wouldn't hate him as much as I do.

It takes some convincing, but Koyu and Marlowe agree to hold off the zombies so Muteiu and Nanami can escape, regroup, and return to fight off Neclord and his monstrous hordes. We don't have the heart to tell them.

Yes, Marlowe is trying to hit a zombie with a book.

They dead.

You know they dead.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:16 pm

Guard: ...leader of the KISS Army are fighting hard to win Tinto back!! And here you are trying to escape!!!

Y... yeah. I'll, uh... I'll just leave it to Gustav and Jess and... uh, Muteiu.

The guard is then distracted by a fresh wave of not-so-fresh zombies.

It probably would have been easier to run away when we weren't in the middle of a zombie attack. Every two steps someone's trying to guilt me into turning around! Cripes, it's like one of the keystones of the entire universe, some magical force that's literally existed since the beginning of time, is trying to force me to stay in this conflict!

The screen darkens as Muteiu's consciousness wanes...

...but Nanami carries him piggyback away from the zombie-infested Tigermouth.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:19 pm

There are a couple of scripted zombie encounters on the mountain path, and Muteiu is useless in them. Nanami could probably handle things herself, but having Sheena and Bob present certainly make things much quicker.

Some guy charges in from stage right and cuts the zombie down from behind.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:28 pm

Nanami: That old man over there helped us. We have to say thank you.

Swordsman Georg, who lives on a mountain and kills 10000 zombies per day, is a statistical outlier and should not have been thanked.

Georg: I said you didn't need to thank me, but you're very conscientious. By the way, where are you planning to go, Muteiu?
Nanami: Ho... how do you know the name Muteiu?
Georg: How do I know? Because you were yelling in such a loud voice. Is it alright for the leader of the KISS Army to be hanging around here?
Muteiu: I'm not the leader anymore.
Georg: Oh, I see. If that's so, then you'd better escape quickly. This is going to be a battle site again.
Muteiu: Aren't you going to stop me?
Georg: Why do I need to stop you? It's what you decided, young man. It's none of my business. Why that face? ................. I've seen many things in many places. There was a woman I thought of devoting everything to, and I had precious friends. I was living for true meaning and promises. But, young man, with the passing of time, everything will pass as the clouds pass. Even if you think there's nothing else now, you don't have to be trapped by that. You shouldn't be held back by feelings of obligation, young man, you must follow the path you feel is right. It's better to get going soon. You don't have time to sit and have a long talk now, do you?

Well, he's right. Let's continue, through Drakemouth.

Jowy: Again... power... Have to... hurry...

Pilika has a new portrait.

Joei Jowy: I... I'm okay... Pilika... I'm... okay.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:39 pm

Nanami: ............... I'm sorry. I... It was selfish of me to say what I said... To throw everything away... And run away... It was selfish.. wasn't it...

The guilt starting to wear on Nanami is interrupted by the sounds of combat outside the shed.

Nanami rushes outside, flail raised, screaming like a madwoman...!

...straight into Flik's blade.

Nanami: Flik.... And Shu, and little Apple...

Shu: There are many people who need you... Please, come back to the KISS Army.

Shu: You must have seen what happened to the people that lived in all those villages. You can still say you're leaving? What about the people who believed in you?
Muteiu: But... I...
Apple: How can you say that?!! Because of you... Because of you, Ridley was.....
Nanami: What about Ridley?
Shu: Lord Ridley died in battle. Lord Muteiu, it was the morning after you escaped. Neclord made a surprise attack on Tinto. When the citizens were running around trying to escape, Viktor, Klaus, and Lord Ridley were fighting while searching for you. During that battle...

FACE

Shu: But I want you to think of that pain as the pain of the people who believed in you. I'll say it once more. Please come back to the KISS Army.
Muteiu: But... I...
Nanami: ............. Muteiu... I'm sorry. You fighting, losing Joei, seeing so many people die. You seemed to be hurting so badly... But, but, but I ended up causing you more pain. Sorry, sorry, I'm sorry. After I made an oath to Grandpa, too. And I'm you're sister... Don't worry about me anymore. Do what you want, Muteiu.
Shu: At Crom Village, Viktor and his men have a plan to dig into Tinto. If you have the will to fight again. If you have the will to be leader of the KISS Army again, please come back.
Flik: Hey, are you going back, Shu?
Shu: The rest is up to Muteiu. It doesn't matter whether we're here or not

After Shu, Flik, and Apple leave, anyone else who happens to be in your party also goes back to Crom to keep fighting. There's no one left but Muteiu and Nanami, in an empty village.

Muteiu: I understand...
Nanami: Yeah... okay, let'd go. There are places where there's no fighting. There are places where you can live a normal life, Muteiu. That could be... an answer for you...

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:44 pm

THIS IS BAD END

You don't get all 108 stars, you don't shed your burdensome true rune, you don't ever reconcile with your lost friend, and you never figure out what's up with that Georg guy. But Muteiu and Nanami leave in peace for the rest of their days, far away from Toran, Dunan, the Grasslands, Zexen, the Island Nations, Falena, or Harmonia, all of which get caught up in some conflict or another sooner or later. Maybe Kanakan? And they have a nice vineyard out back? Yeah, let's go with that.

You can return to the war at any time during the escape sequence. Even if you only decide to return after Shu's backhand, everyone's happy to see you and the game continues normally. Uh, except Ridley, who dies no matter what as soon as you decide to run away back in Tinto.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:52 pm

nosimpleway wrote:But Muteiu and Nanami leave bone in peace for the rest of their days.

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:05 pm

that second one is totally them boning, no spoiler there :3333
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:34 pm

So let's go back a skosh, and remind Nanami that we're needed.

Nanami: If there wasn't this fighting, You and Jowy could end your youth service and go to school like the one in Greenhill and we might die tomorrow. There's no need to worry, I hate it. What happens if you die, Muteiu? Grandpa Genkaku is gone, Jowy is gone, and yet, and yet...
Muteiu: I'm sorry.
Nanami: Oooh.....

Nanami turns away, her shoulders heaving.

bu-dehhhhhhh

Nanami: You're right. You're needed, Muteiu. You're strong enough to accept it, too. Yeah, I'm proud of you. We have to get up early tomorrow. Just thinking of having to quarrel from first thing in the morning makes me sick, though. Let's get back to our own rooms and sleep, okay? Got it? Get warm and go to sleep...

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:46 pm

That went well.

Jess: We'll strike from here. The zombies are controlled by Neclord's magic. So if Neclord is defeated, the whole army will be destroyed at once.
Viktor: You know where Neclord lives?!
Jess: Of course. Previously, when we were reforming the State Army, we had spies all around. There were many who were caught by the Highland Army and lost their lives, but they all fought for Muse. One of those found out where Neclord lives.
Viktor: What if it was a mistake?
Jess: ...This information was brought to Muse by a loyal man who risked death to bring it. The information is not wrong!
Viktor: Idiot!!! You'll risk lives on that!!!
Jess: Hauser. Give the signal to move out.

Pretty sure this is Hauser's first spoken line, so here's his portrait.

Ridley: Lord Hauser. You, a great general of Muse, should know that this is a risky strategy.
Hauser: Yes..... But the orders can't be changed.
Ridley: Why do you have to go that far, Lord Hauser?
Hauser: I am a soldier of Muse. Lady Annabelle is no longer alive, and according to Muse law, Lord Jess is the acting mayor. As long as Muse still exists, I will follow the law of Muse. A soldier should not act on his personal feelings. War is an exchange of lives, and I will not act as a soldier for other than reason of law.
Ridley: Even if it means your own life is taken?
Hauser: That's right.

Viktor: But what if the information Jess told us was wrong?
Klaus: If Lord Jess is defeated, Neclord will have 5000 new zombie recruits. If that happens, we're lost. We must take Lord Jess's gamble.
Ridley: We can't just stand by helplessly and let Lord Hauser die.
Klaus: Lord Muteiu, we will lead the army and follow behind Lord Jess. You stay here and protect Tinto. Viktor, please take care of Lord Muteiu.
Viktor: Do you want to die?
Klaus: I don't want to die, but if we leave the Muse soldiers to die, it would be a blow for the KISS Army.
Gijimu: Okay, Koyu. We're going too!!!!!
Koyu: Hey! Brother!

No one mentions that there's only one weapon in the entire world that can actually hurt Neclord, and it's strapped to Viktor's back. And Viktor got left in Tinto by both the Muse and the KISS armies. Jess, Hauser, Klaus, Ridley, Gijimu, and Koyu all just left on a suicide mission, one where they don't have the equipment they need to even possibly complete their goal.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:59 pm

You're free to wander about, but the next story point is inside the mine, where miners keep going in but nobody comes out.

...guess why!

Neclord: There are a number of mine tunnels dug under Tinto. I used one of those to get here. That kid named Jess or something was gathering the Muse soldiers, I mixed in a few spies. With a few threats and an offer of money, they cooperated easily. It became even clearer that humans are filthy creatures. The true value doesn't come out until they become corpses.
Nanami: What! What! What!! You mean... no way!!!!
Neclord: You are indeed the KISS Army leader, Muteiu. Let me add you as another member of my zombie forces.
Nanami: I won't let you do that!!!!!

We can't... really... stop him...

Neclord: I'll show you the magic of my Rune. The magic requires the blood of 100 people, so be thankful. My Moon Rune, we sacrifice the blood of 100 people and the lives of 100 people. Now go, 'Blue Moon Curse'. Strike his enemies!!!

Neclord's true rune does its thing, killing Muteiu with insurmountable power.

Insurmountable, perhaps, by anything less than another true rune.

Either way, it's time to go. Nanami and Muteiu escape the mine, trailed by zombies the whole way.