Let's all go to the movies~

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: Let's all go to the movies~

Postby Mothra » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:46 am

Finally saw Inception. Really, really loved it.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:56 am

Finally saw Pirates! Band of Misfits. Really, really loved it.

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:11 pm

Book of Life was gorgeous. Love love loved the art style, I want it drawn everywhere always. Too much wrong with it to say it was great, including a trite plot and mostly stupid contemporary music covers, but I did enjoy it.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:29 pm

Me and a pal have been doing a competing franchises thing. Trading off, watch a Paranormal Activity, watch a Shrek. I don't imagine it surprises anybody that the Paranormal Activity series is mostly garbage - there's a neat little metaplot being built out of the movies, but it took until the fifth one for it to actually become interesting.

What astonished me, though, is the overall really high quality of the Shrek movies. They're fucking good. Shrek the Third was the weakest, but that was still pretty good, and Shrek Forever was genuinely amazing - exciting, hilarious, and really meaningful. Even the two made-for-TV holiday specials, Shrek the Halls and Scared Shrekless, were a blast. Lots of really fucked up dark jokes on top of the straight humor, too. I'm flabbergasted, but I really have to recommend the whole series.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:46 pm

Shrek is amazingly watchable for a Dreamworks movie. I know first-hand that kids love them. Personally, after So I Married an Axe Murderer, I'll never not love Mike Myers and his dorky Scottish accent, so, I'm biased.

I really want Paranormal Activity to be good. I love that found-footage style of horror film, even though pretty much all of it is garbage. Something about that lack of the saftey net of standard movie conventions does a lot toward lowering your defenses and getting you into the creepy situation.

One thing I'd love for them to do would be like a Ghost Hunters-style garbage reality show where they actually stage horrifying discoveries. Even better would be some kind of UFO-hunter thing where they could just go nuts. I'm thinking all the good parts of Fire in the Sky, in a setting that proports to be reality.

One day.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:26 am

Thought the first Shrek was pretty great and the second wasn't. Haven't seen the rest.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:42 pm

I would pay money to see a ghost hunters show where they set up tons of freaky shit and hidden cameras to catch the reactions of 'paranormal experts'.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:49 pm

beatbandito wrote:I would pay money to see a ghost hunters show where they set up tons of freaky coconut and hidden cameras to catch the reactions of 'paranormal experts'.

And then once they get a good reaction from the 'paranormal experts', a trap door pops open and a super-cheezy halloween decoration on a string falls out.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:42 pm

TA wrote:Me and a pal have been doing a competing franchises thing. Trading off, watch a Paranormal Activity, watch a Shrek. I don't imagine it surprises anybody that the Paranormal Activity series is mostly garbage - there's a neat little metaplot being built out of the movies, but it took until the fifth one for it to actually become interesting.

What astonished me, though, is the overall really high quality of the Shrek movies. They're fucking good. Shrek the Third was the weakest, but that was still pretty good, and Shrek Forever was genuinely amazing - exciting, hilarious, and really meaningful. Even the two made-for-TV holiday specials, Shrek the Halls and Scared Shrekless, were a blast. Lots of really fucked up dark jokes on top of the straight humor, too. I'm flabbergasted, but I really have to recommend the whole series.

And then Puss In Boots is kind of amazing, too. Pretty classic adventure film. Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles. And quite free of continuity, you can just pick this up and watch it and have a hell of a time.

Pisses me off a little bit that the sequel isn't coming until 2018.

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:05 pm

Ultron doesn't sound very... I dunno. Ultron-ish.

Bal

Postby Bal » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:38 pm

Well, he's not based off the mind of a psychotic Hank Pym, so I guess that's to be expected.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:46 pm

He does, however, sound exactly like I hoped he would when I heard he was James Spader. So that's good.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:46 pm

Age of Ultron: Tony Stark feels sorry for himself until he builds a new suit (again), Dr. Banner goes a little crazier while The Hulk gets a little more sane (again), Cpt. America fucks off to some ruins in Europe (again) and oh, also Ultron is here.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:13 pm

Yo dawg I herd you like Iron Man

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:27 pm

Iron Man 2 was one of the most brutally unwatchable movies I've flipped through on FX since Transformers 2. Caught Iron Man 3 in the same network and was pleasantly surprised.

If it's more Iron Man 3 than 2 it maaaybe might be fun.

I cannot imagine them making the Hulk interesting, though.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Maybe if they did Planet Hulk... but that's really just Conan with green bodypaint.

ocksi

Postby ocksi » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:09 pm

Part of Marvel's huge presser today was an Inhumans movie.

Other good news is Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:17 am

A Marvel movie not starring a white guy named Chris!

There's still time to find a white woman named Chris to play Captain Marvel, though.

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:05 am

Chris... tina Hendricks?

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:29 pm

Casting details and a significant plot twist spoiler for the upcoming Terminator: Genisys are revealed.

If you still had hopes after Terminator Salvation, this should dash those rather handily.