MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Newbie » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:40 am

I rode in on the "Parish's website linked to Sharkey's and I fell into the Seven Deadly Forums from there" train. I really wanted to get into #finalfight, but my chat room days were already behind me. I lurked for almost no time whatsoever before Thad posted his Newbie Guide and, defiant teen that I was, I gave the least forethought to immediately registering the username I'd wind up using longer than any other.
tiny text

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:20 am

I am pretty sure that one of the posters on these forums actually introduced me to Sharkey and Parish's websites back in the nineties.
I also feel like I owe that guy a decking (but, not a bad one). So I am not actually keen on teasing that out.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:49 am

François wrote:I have some distant memory of signing an old-fashioned guestbook at Sharkey's page way back when. I didn't think to note the year, but I think it was around the era when the "Mr T Ate My Balls" thing was popular because I remember with a strange and disturbing clarity that several people on the guestbook claimed Sharkey ate their balls. I musta lurked a little on the boards when they were first established but if I recall correctly I introduced myself after a relatively short time.

EDIT: knowyourmeme dates Mr T Ate My Balls at 1996, which means I was 15, which sounds about right. Iesus Cristo, I've been orbiting this system for nearly twenty years.

That far back? It would have been '98 or '99 when I started reading his stuff after seeing him on Ask Thor; he had a site on verge-rpg.net back then. He was still making Mr. T Ate My Balls jokes then, but that meme did have some staying power.

I don't remember whether he had a guestbook when I first saw his site, but I DO remember him getting some fan mail from Zara.

...what's Thor up to these days, anyway?

...oh hey, he put out a short story collection last year.

And finally told us what the "J" is for.

Newbie wrote:I rode in on the "Parish's website linked to Sharkey's and I fell into the Seven Deadly Forums from there" train.

Other way 'round for me; I found Parish through Sharkey.

François

Postby François » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:41 am

Thad wrote:That far back? It would have been '98 or '99 when I started reading his stuff after seeing him on Ask Thor; he had a site on verge-rpg.net back then. He was still making Mr. T Ate My Balls jokes then, but that meme did have some staying power.

Hmm, there's a good chance your timeline is more accurate. Those years were when I first started getting ill so it's likely I was starting to spend more time online. I'm pretty sure I found out about Thor through Sharkey, but I'll be damned if I remember how I found my way to Sharkey's in the first place. I vaguely sort of recall a site of his before verge but to be honest I'm not confident I'm not just misremembering someone else.

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:27 am

Hah. I might out-age you in terms of following (read here as "knowing about the existence of") this inane bullshit.

It's almost as weird as realizing that I've been unintentionally following Ian JQ since the weeaboo mess of a webcomic he was crafting while he was in high school.

EDIT:
I didn't think of it as such at the time for two reasons:
1) I was/am a filthy weeaboo also.
2) Everything looks good when contrasted against Megatokyo.

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:19 am

Newbie wrote:I rode in on the "Parish's website linked to Sharkey's and I fell into the Seven Deadly Forums from there" train.

This is me as well. I got to Parish from Anime Jump, and to Anime Jump...probably Anipike or something. I vaguely recall stumbling across Sharkey's page in jr high or so, backing away, and then coming back in high school. Been bumming around here ever since.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:40 am

Haha oh man, the Anime Web Turnpike, oh god. I can't remember that without laughing.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:53 am

I don't fucking remember what asshole on one of the few forums I was on linked Sharkey's website but that's how I found this shit, and then I ended up lurking on outerheaven until I figured out what irc server finalfight was on. This was back when Sharkey linked a java irc client that took you right to #outerheaven on the outerheaven page.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:55 am

I'm an alt account of Demogorgon who was an alt account of Cassius who was an alt account of Nimduin who was an alt account of yyler who was an alt account of Norondor who was an alt account of Kazz who was an alt account of Guild who was an alt account of Thad who was an alt account of Mistranslated Ship Captain

You know what you doing.
ImageImageImage

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:56 am

In like 2000 or 2001 I read sharkey's review of princess maker 2 on HOTU and I've been here since.

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:58 pm

I thought I was that person's alt account?

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:52 pm

When I was but a lad I found Sharkey's site and failed miserably to try and join #ff on a few occasions. In Jr. High I met up with kids that were dumb trolls on Parish's forums so I was a dumb troll on Parish's forum for a while (if it wasn't Rygaron I don't know what name I used there, but I rolled dirty with some derp named monkeysheet or something). I watched a lot of outerheaven and sometimes successfully got in the channel. Then after getting in with the Jerks on CoH I wound up in #ff until ending up still pretty much just being a dumb troll on our loving community.

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:25 pm

Shortly after Arc morphed into warm, liquid goo and spirited away, I got a message from someone on 1up.com claiming to be a relative of his, who attempted to prove it by giving me really specific demographic information. I didn't reply, but I did forward it to Arc, who said thanks, and was never seen or heard from again.

If it really was family, I hope things got resolved or whatever, and that he or she didn't send PMs like that to too many people.

Oh, and yeah, when I got here it was a bunch of Brentais glomping on each other, and I just never left.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:34 pm

I forget if I ever said how I got here, but back in the day, I used to lurk on the Ecchi-Attack boards until they went down. At some point during that period, one of them linked something on Pyoko, and I ended up migrating there after THE FALL.

It wasn't until years later that I even knew there was a front page, or that it was run by EGM's Sharkey. Loved that guy from his Superman 64 review in the first issue I ever read.

Cthulhu-chan

Postby Cthulhu-chan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:19 pm

Mothra wrote: back in the day, I used to lurk on the Ecchi-Attack boards until they went down. At some point during that period, one of them linked something on Pyoko, and I ended up migrating there after THE FALL.

This is pretty much my origin story, verbatim.

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:26 pm

Ditto .. ish? I also remember some circuitously Googleshngy -> Thory -> Parishy path leading me toward Sharkey's site, but it wasn't until after E-A went down that I stopped lurking the boards and started posting for realsy.

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:15 pm

Which would explain how the Dark Alliance of Tits came about.

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:43 pm

In all reality, I think I'm here because Thor linked to some shit on Sharkey's page from his RPGamer column. That was like a million years ago.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:29 am

I feel like the sudden loss of E-A traumatized us into jumping in as active posters, since we lost the dream of posting with our heroes in the blink of an eye. Can't lurk forever.

Side note: Managed to catch up with the old crew recently, and they're doing well. Reverand Teel (Now Ragu) survived turning 30 and is in good spirits (occasionally tweets as @Andore7). Mister Elitest Fuckhead is dating a fine dame in Chicago and getting really into whiskey. AgentTon got a story published in Lightspeed magazine, and is finishing her first novel with a publisher. Manna continues to draw regularly at ThirdHalf.net. Sak has started an experimental band somewhere in middle America. Usagi and Hermit are well - Hermit appears in Outer Heaven pretty regularly these days. Shadax, Alex M, and GameQuoter all seem happy.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:41 am

Manna shows up in OH as well, and keeps trying to teach me about that damn asuka picture whenever it comes up on my tumblr.