Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nosimpleway

Re: Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:42 pm

Millie? No offense or anything, but WHAT THE SHIT

I mean, I guess he's cute when he's... like... normal. But then...

HOLY GOD IT'S HIDEOUS

Bonaparte swallows a party member, chews them up, and spits them out each turn.

Eventually we prevail.

In thanks for finding Bonaparte and pummeling him into obedience, Millie joins the group.

This means the Groundhog rune -- well, it goes in a rune slot, but I'm pretty sure it's not a Groundhog Rune, it's just Bonaparte sitting on her arm -- is now functional. Once per combat, Bonaparte can spring off from his resting spot on Millie's arm to try to eat one enemy. This does double Millie's usual damage.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:09 pm

The slipshod translation still isn't sure what to call Flik.

Huh? Why would a cat say the name of the admiral of the Toran Republic navy? Well... slipshod translation strikes again. Apparently some Japanese characters look pretty similar to other Japanese characters at a glance, changing a cat's meow to a wistful sigh about a faraway soldier.

Music: Children Playing in the Fields
I really like this track. I had the version of this from the Celtic Collection CD that was released in Japan playing during the cocktail hour before my wedding reception.

In Toto, a little girl recognizes Jowy.

Jowy: Pilika! You doing okay?
Pilika: Yeah. Pilika's good. Pilika went to Muse with Mommy and Daddy. We had to get a 'sacrifice' for daddy's shrine. It was really far, but Pilika walked all by herself. Isn't Pilika good?
Jowy: Yes, PIlika, you're very good.
Muteiu: A friend of Jowy's?
Jowy: Oh that's right. You didn't hear this part. After the river took me downstream, I wound up stranded on a rock and this girl found me. Then her family nursed me back to health.
Pilika: Hey, are you a friend of Uncle Jowy?
Muteiu: Yes. I'm his best friend.
Pilika: I knew it. What's your name?
Muteiu: Muteiu.
Pilika: Okay. Uncle Muteiu, okay? My name is Pilika. Nice to meet you. Uncle Jowy, uncle Muteiu, come to Pilika's house, okay?

Pilika introduces her parents. Marx and Joanna don't have portraits, so you can kind of tell they're not really important. Meta-gaming!

Joanna: You look terrific. You left before your wounds were healed and we were so worried.
Jowy: I'm happy to see you again. I just don't know how to thank you enough for what you did for me...
Marx: You don't have to thank us. We just did what anyone else here would have done. Right dear?
Joanna: Of course, Jowy. And this is...
Jowy: Oh, this is my boyhood friend, Muteiu. Muteiu and me... we can't get back to Highland...
Marx: I see... well... think of this as your own home. You're welcome here anytime.
Joanna: That's right, you're welcome anytime. I'll make you all a terrific feast.
Jowy: Thanks.... thank you.... that you very much. I'm... so... happy.
Joanna: Pilika is happy too.
Pilika: Umm.... uncle Jowy, uncle Muteiu, come over here.
Marx: Pilika, Jowy and Muteiu must be very tired. Leae them be for a while.
Pilika: Oooookaaaay.

Pilika: Over here. Over here. Put your ear closer. Ummm... errr... Pilika has a favor to ask... Will you listen, please? Umm... When Pilika went to Muse with Mommy and Daddy, Pilika saw something really great.
Jowy: Something great?
Pilika: Yes yes. Soon it will be Daddy's birthday and Pilika want to give him present. When Pilika went to store in Muse, Pilika saw pretty wooden amulet with stars and fish on it. Do you think Daddy would like it?
Jowy: I'm sure he would.
Pilika: So.... D'ya know? When Pilika does chores for daddy, Pilika gets 2 potch. Now Pilika has this much, so Pilika can buy amulet. But Pilika can't leave village alone. So could uncle Jowy and uncle Muteiu go buy amulet for Pilika? Please?
Jowy: Of course. Right, Muteiu?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Zamza writes us off as useless, annoying Nanami. Nanami spits that we wouldn't need someone like him, and Zamza's ego gets bruised. In order to prove his usefulness...

...Zamza joins the party.

South of Muse, in a little fishing village on the side of the lake called Coronet, there's a blacksmith worth seeing, an armor shop with new gear, and a guy who's so proud of the local seafood that he gives us a recipe! ...for pork dumplings. :shrug:

Anyway, Muse. It's big.

The gate's wide open, though. No sweat getting in.

It's a bustling commercial haven, with plenty of merchants in the square cackling about how good business is. But they don't have a trading post.

Hardware Store Owner: Oh yeah... this here. It's not for sale. A customer with an overdue bill left it a few months ago. But, I guess if you really want it I'll sell it to you... So how about 500 potch?
Jowy: 500 potch!
Shopkeep: Well if ya don't want it, fine.
Jowy: 500 potch?... What should we do, Muteiu?

500 potch is affordable, but no way I'm letting this guy rip us off like that.

Jowy: Can you wait a minute, Muteiu? This signet ring... how much will you give me for it?
Shopkeep: Let me see that... Hey! This is pretty valuable! I'll buy it for 2000 potch.
Jowy: Give us the wooden amulet and we'll call it even.
Shopkeep: Really? Hey thanks a lot. Well here's the amulet and here's your 1500 potch change. Say, do you know someone from Highland? This seal is Highland style. It might have belonged to some nobleman.
Jowy: No.............. Let's go, Muteiu. Pilika is waiting for us.

Jowy's been disowned from his step-family in Kyaro, and considers Marx, Joanna, and Pilika his new family, so... yeah.

Aw, weak! If I had known there was a Fury Rune in the Rare Finds here, I wouldn't have blown so much money at the blacksmith in Coronet!

So I spend some time around Muse fighting off random encounters to raise the cash, hoping to get it raised before the Rare Find time gives out. I make it! A Fury Rune is a passive rune that makes the wearer Berserk in combat. Rather than the disabling status effect in most games, Berserk just improves the user's physical attack power by about a third. Nanami already has a Double-Beat rune, but as soon as she gets another slot on her other hand...

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:33 pm

Back in Toto--

Pilika's pretty upset, and her normal cheerful portrait doesn't really work in this situation.

Another portrait!

Jowy: What... what could have....
Pilika: Waaaaaaaaa, Waaaaaaaaaaaaa Waaaaaaa, da... da... da... daddy said 'go hide!' So Pilika hide real good... so nobody find. But Pilika hear lot of noise. Very scary noise. Very, very, very scary noise. So... so... so Pilika... Pilika take a little peek. And then... and then... and then.. Pilika saw Mommy and Daddy... but they not moving.... covered with sticky, red stuff... Pilika... sniff... Pilika... sniff.. Pilika know.... Mommy and Daddy are 'dead', right? Daddy told Pilika about it when Pilika's cat died. sniff... sniff... waaa.... But... but... but it's okay. Daddy said that it not so bad to be dead. He say it just like going somewhere far, far away. Right, right? Pilika... Pilika be a good girl... waaaaaahhhh.... mommy.... daddy.... waaaa...

Muteiu: What happened here?
Apple: It's the work of the prince, Luca Blight. He looted and burned this village just to keep his army entertained. And next he'll.... Do you know a man named Viktor? He's a mercenary from near here.

Across the lake, actually, but we'll get to that.

Apple: I've got no time left, so if you know him, please take me to him.
Jowy: Wait! This girl... Pilika... she's still crying.
Apple: There's no time. Drag her if you must, but we have to go.

Apple and Pilika join, in the special "convoy" slot for non-combat characters like Liukan should have had in the last game.

Leave the village and return, and Hanna shows up. In order to prevent this sort of thing from happening again, Hanna joins the group too.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:00 pm

Apple: How dare you?! You're here like the godfather of all mercenaries and you don't even let us know? We were worried!!
Flik: You've got some nerve, Viktor! I can't believe it! Didn't you say you'd keep in contact?!!
Viktor: Huh? No I... aha aha ahem. Anyway, Apple, what are you doing here? Doing a little sightseeing?
Apple: Unfortunately not. Luca Blight attacked Toto Village. I came to relay word of that.
Flik: Luca... the royal prince?
Apple: Yes, it was horrible. He looted what he could and then burned everything to the ground. This child is the only survivor.
Viktor: Damn! What is he up to...
Apple: Luca Blight has his eyes set on an invasion of the City-State. This was just a warm up. This fort is in his way. If he leaves it, he'd be opening himself to an attack from behind when he invades Muse.
Viktor: You're joking. What about the peace treaty?
Apple: Luca set things up so it looked like the State broke the peace treaty with a surprise attack. Now he's screaming for all citizens of Highland to take revenge for the lives of the young men slain in the attack.
Jowy: So that's how it is....
Flik: Gimme a break. He can't fool anyone with that dog and pony show.
Viktor: Muteiu, Jowy, good work. We have some important strategy to discuss, but you must be tired. Why don't you go to your quarters and get some rest.

Jowy: Muteiu... I just don't know who to feel loyal to... I thought I was a Highlander and then they hunted us down. But I always thought someday we could go back to Highland. The Unicorn Brigade massacre, Captain Rowd's betrayal, Toto Village burning down... I just don't know who to trust anymore.
Muteiu: You can trust me.
Jowy: I know. I know I can... Thanks, Muteiu.

Well, as much as I hate to spoil what comes next, it may not come as much of a surprise that the game's about to introduce the army battles mechanic. Of course, if we're going to be doing army battles, we're going to use an army. And we're going to be asked to name that army before we start. Write in any suggestions, if you're trying to pun, it'll be called the "_____ Army" for the rest of the game.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:08 pm

Highland Army, for maximum confusion.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:13 pm

Smarmy
Barmy
Harmy
Alarmy
KISS
Salvation

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:21 pm

The Blight Shield Army
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:30 pm

How many characters do we have to work with?

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:41 pm

TA wrote:Highland Army, for maximum confusion.

This, presuming the same 8 characters limit as Muteiu's name.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:31 pm

Is Kinnison really a guy? That face looks feminine to me.

Air Buds Army
ImageImageImage

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:05 am

Sleevy!

Healy

Postby Healy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:50 am

I'm partial to the KISS Army.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:31 am

Brentai wrote:Sleevy!

I've done this before, but as the name of the castle where the armies are kept.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Assaram.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:39 pm

Viktor: I don't know how long this fort is gonna last against Luca Blight, but we've decided to fight.
Flik: I'm going to Muse to request reinforcements.
Apple: I'm going to look for a good place to lay some traps.
Viktor: I'll gather soldiers and weapons. We'll use whatever we can find. Take a look at this, Muteiu, Jowy. These are called Fire Spears. They're weapons forged years ago by the Dwarves. They shoot fire from their tips. We've got several of these 'Fire Spears' in the fort's storeroom. They could be very useful, but they're all rusted over.
Flik: I told you to take care of your toys.
Viktor: Quiet. Anyway, I need them fixed, but only one man can do it. A man who lives here named Tsai of the Divine Spear. Muteiu, Jowy, I want you to find Tsai. Will you do it?
Muteiu: Of course.
Viktor: Really? Thanks. I'm counting on you.
Flik: I got some money together for you to give to Tsai. Don't spend it along the way.

You got 2000 potch.

Apple: Tsai lives near Ryube Village. He moved into the mountains cause he likes privacy...

Jowy then wanders around and pokes around Tsai's stuff for a minute or two.

Jowy: Nobody's here... What should we do? Wait for a while?

Jowy pokes around for another minute.

Jowy: Guess he's not coming back.

Perfectly justified!

Jowy: Are you Tsai of the Divine Spear?
Tsai: Divine Spear? No just plain Tsai. But anyway, what's your business?
Muteiu: We need your help.
Tsai: The 'Fire Spears', right? I heard that Luca Blight attacked Toto Village. So... it's war again, is it... Well I've already got my things packed so I'd be ready whenever the time came. Let's go.
Jowy: I brought this along. It's your payment for your work.
Tsai: I don't ask for prepayment on my work so you can hold on to that. When the job is done.... and if we beat the Highland Army, I'll accept payment then.

Tsai is a spearman, and comes with the first weapon-unique rune in the group. The Unicorn Rune allows Tsai to charge through a column of enemies, hitting up to two for normal damage, but the effort drops Tsai's defense to 0 until the next turn. But that's okay, because Tsai isn't particularly fast (giving enemies time to hit him before he activates the defense-dropping rune) and with a medium-reach weapon, can stand on the back row and let other people soak hits.

Upon returning to Ryube from the mountain path...

Music: Tension

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:41 pm

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:44 pm

Luca: All you worms can do is plead! You really want to live so badly?
Villager: Y...yes.... I... I'll do anything... just.. don't kill......
Luca: Is that right... In that case, act like a pig.
Villager: Huh?.......
Luca: I said act like a pig!!!!!
Villager: Yes! Yes!!!

Luca: Hoo hoo. Ha ha ha ha ha! He he he ha ha ha!!!! Very good!!
Villager: So that means....?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:49 pm

Luca: Finished? My sword still thirsts for blood!! You! Burn this place! Burn this whole place to the ground!!!

Would you argue?

Jowy: I... I won't forget this!
Tsai: Wait a minute. Luca Blight possesses strength that is not of this world. You and I would not have a chance of standing against him in combat. But there will be another time.
Muteiu: We can't just sit here and watch.
Jowy: Let's go, Muteiu! I won't let him make more victims like Pilika!
Tsai: I guess we've got no choice.

*thwack*

By the time Jowy and Muteiu wake up, the fires are out and the Highland army is gone.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:59 pm

Flik: I heard that Ryube village was attacked and I was worried.

Rumors move fast in the Suikoden world, but I guess Ryube is nearly visible from the fort anyway. You could probably see the smoke on the horizon from that window over there.

Viktor: Is that the man called Tsai?
Tsai: I am Tsai. Good to meet you. There is very little time. I will begin working on the 'Fire Spears'.
Viktor: Thank you. Let's hope it works. Muteiu, Jowy, good work. You two have done enough. Get ready to escape to Muse City. This battle has nothing to do with you. Thanks again for getting Tsai.
Muteiu: I want to fight by your side.
Viktor: You're what? I appreciate the thought, but...
Flik: I don't want anyone slowing us down, so I'll give you a test. Muteiu, if you can even just wound me, I'll count you as a warrior. Okay?

Well, it sure beats leaving my home village with a sword named after my girlfriend to go on some undefined "journey" to be counted as a warrior... hey wait, how come you get to decide who's a warrior and who's not?

Because it's how the player is introduced to the duel mechanic. It works just like it does in the last game, with Attack beating Defense beating Wild Attack beating Attack.

You just have to hit Flik a couple of times before he assesses Muteiu as a decent enough fighter to get a unit of his mercenary army.

Viktor: Maybe you've lost your touch, Flik.
Flik: What did you say?!

He said you're forty experience levels lower than you were three years ago, with a lower-tier rune than you had then too.

Viktor: Ha ha ha! Okay Muteiu, Jowy, I'll let you two lead a company. Think of the company's name.