Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nosimpleway

Re: Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:58 pm

Gorudo: You came just in time, Camus. Arrest this man! Throw him in prison!
Camus: Arrest Miklotov? I can't do that.
Gorudo: What are you saying...?

*rrrrip*

*plink*

Miklotov: Camus...
Camus: Lord Muteiu, please allow Miklotov and I to join the KISS Army. We are no longer Knights, but we still possess our hearts and our skills. Surely they will aid you.
Gorudo: You... You traitors! You can't just leave! You, guards, arrest them all!!! Quickly, hurry up!

*rrrrip* *plink*

*rrrrip* *plink*

After listening to Gorudo's self-righteous bullshit for this long, the sound of nearly a dozen Knight emblems hitting the floor is just about the most satisfying thing in to happen in the game.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:51 am

There's a brief scare where we're followed by nearly a third of Matilda's total armed forces when we get to the Greenhill checkpoint, but it turns out they're all the people sick of Gorudo who were willing to turn traitor to join our cause. So hooray for that.

There's not much of a briefing to go over, either. Shu warns that the Highland Army will move against us sooner or later, but we might as well get some rest in the meantime.

So we do.

Time for a cutscene!

Luca: Particularly Kiba and his son are more loyal to the King than me. It could even mean the entire State strategy is in danger.
Jowy: I've got a plan to handle that.
Luca: Hmm. You've really planned it all out. How did you get so wise?

I'd say that Jowy just recruited his own Tenki star, held by the primary strategist in the army (ours is filled by Shu, previously held by Mathiu), except Leon is already established as the Chikai star, the secondary strategist.

Luca: So you really were a strategist for the Scarlet Moon Empire along with Mathiu Silverburg... Why are you here?
Leon: We're forgotten in times of peace. It's only when war looms that people remember we exist.

In later games, Leon sports an eyepatch and seeks to build a land of eternal war somewhere around Zanzibar.

Surprising no one, Jowy's plan is good enough to get him the wife he asked for.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:54 am

Uh huh. You know what that sounds like to me?

Time to go do something else! Ha ha ha!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:04 am

Bashok's fried gyoza goes over about as well as fried gyoza ever does with this crowd.

"Our leader just got back from a trip into Matilda. Have you ever seen? It's all rolling plains, gentle hills, and tall grasses -- it's perfect land for raising cattle. So for this contest, I'm serving some of the wonderful Matilda beef we've brought back. To start off, I've got a bit of grilled beef tongue, seared just enough to keep the flesh of the tongue tender and really show off that amazing beefly flavor. For this dish, roll it in a bit of flatbread with just a touch of pepper jam. Please enjoy it."

You'd think Yuzu would be a judge who loved meat in any form, huh? She's not!

Bashok's Fried Rice recipe is a solid contender.

"It may not be time for a year-ending party, but I couldn't resist the chance to put together a bit of a hot-pot soup out of this magnificent beef. Swish the beef through the Sukiyaki broth with your chopsticks and eat it with jelly noodles and a bit of egg yolk sauce. Please enjoy it."

It's a Japanese game, full of Japanese-style characters, so traditional Japanese-style fare gets good scores. Yoshino has never been happier.

Bashok what the hell you serve spinach juice for dessert?

"One challenge of being a chef, of course, is to repurpose an ingredient into a role that it's not traditionally used in. As it is, my highlight on our quality beef runs into a bit of difficulty when our judges want something sweet at the end of their meal!" *judges and audience laugh*
"This is a sugar-cured cut of beef in a delicate syrup. Please enjoy it."

It goes over about as well as the spinach juice.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:12 am

Hai Yo: Why Bashok? Why are you acting as an agent for the 'Group'.
Bashok: I... I'm sorry... Hai Yo... My daughter... Mei Mi.... she's terribly, terribly ill. I need money for the doctors... It's way more money than I could ever earn in my life... That's why.... I had to.... The Black Dragon Group said they'd give me the money if I brought the 'Moon Bird Recipe'...
Hai Yo: Bashok...
Gyokuran: Ha ha ha, what a fool you are. You believe that sob story?

Hai Yo: Gyokuran!!!! You...!!!!!!
Gyokuran: Ha ha, don't be angry Hai Yo. After all, you were once one of the 4 Lords of the Black Dragon Group too.
Bashok: Y, you're..... I remember......
Gyokuran: Don't talk to me like you're my friend!!! Whatever happens to your daughter, it's got nothing to do with me!!!
Bashok: Y, you swine!
Gyokuran: See you again, Hai Yo! Today was just a greeting. But next time you're mine. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

Bashok: I'm sorry, Hai Yo. I was a fool. Even to save my daughter, I should never have done such a thing.....
Hai Yo: I forgive you, my friend. But what about your daughter?
Bashok: Don't worry, Hai Yo. I'll figure something out. Mei Mi wouldn't be happy if I used dirty money to help her. Anyway, it's not your problem. Please just watch yourself. That guy is serious.
Hai Yo: I'm not afraid. I've got lots of powerful friends here!
Bashok: Yeah, I can see that. Anyway, please take this, Hai Yo. I hope it'll help you.

Nobody ever mentions that, if his daughter's well enough to move, Bashok can live in Vania Castle and work as Hai Yo's sous. We've got the best doctor in the country to care for his daughter while he's here. It'd work out for everybody... but alas, he's just a sidequest speedbump, and doesn't have any other character development.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:15 am

It may not surprise you to learn that restricting my choice of dishes to narrative themes rather than appealing directly to each judge means that this contest took a couple of tries to win. And one of those attempts...

The screen goes dark as the judges confer with one another in a tiebreaking vote. I'm pretty sure it goes to whoever made the dish that had the highest individual score.

...which was Bashok's mighty Fried Rice recipe. This contest took four or five tries total, just because everyone in the army fucking loves fried rice.

I can't be mad at them for it, though. Fried rice is pretty great.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:26 am

Okay, back to business.

Viktor: 'Seems to'? Has it been occupied?
Fitcher: I know not, but if they can occupy it before we receive our next report, they are a formidable enemy indeed.
Shu: So it's not Solon Jhee after all. It's the Third Company, General Kiba and his son.

I guess we never did get word in-game that Solon Jhee was executed for incompetence. And Fitcher, "I know not"? Really?

Anyway, Viktor convinces Shu to let him take Muteiu on a quick recon mission.

But it's not the next dungeon or anything, so we're instantly spotted and chased out of town.

Apple: So it is General Kiba......
Shu: They can do whatever they like. If they attack from the front, we'll meet them at the front.
Flik: Now we can finally fight a decent battle.
Viktor: So you've got no strategy this time?
Shu: Are you worried, Viktor? We don't need a strategy for this battle. Lord Muteiu, please give the signal for our forces to deploy.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:34 am

Klaus: Father, don't underestimate him. He came out because he too has confidence in his strength.
Kiba: I wouldn't have it any other way. I love a good challenge. It's what keeps me going.

Oh yeah, Rowd's standing nearby as reinforcements in case things go south for Kiba.

Everyone's so excited about hundreds of people dying today.

A few turns in...

Shu: Go right ahead, General Ridley.
Ridley: Why is it that only the Kobold Unit is being placed on the front lines?
Shu: What, you don't like Operation: Hide Behind the Doggies? Decisions about troop deployment are mine to make and I expect you to follow them, General.
Ridley: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?

Given how the battle goes, I assume Shu put the kobolds up front because they're awesome at chopping down enemy cavalry.

Nonetheless, Ridley has his panties in a bunch and orders the kobolds to not just retreat, but desert the KISS Army entirely.

So there go three of our units.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:37 am

After the kobolds rout, Rowd's company joins the attack and hits us from the south.

He takes a solid chunk out of Flik's unit, but we manage to take his personal platoon out of the fight.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:44 am

Camus: The State Army's bad habit has shown itself.
Chaco: Ha! You were so arrogant! You don't want to lose your life?
Flik: Without help from Two River, we can't match Kiba's strength...
Shu: ..................... This is no time to attack Ridley. We need a strategy to weaken Kiba. Everyone get some rest. The rest is my job.

We've reached the point in the game where every time Muteiu goes to bed to start the next narrative cutscene, a random person is waiting for him. In this case it's Eilie-kohei.

Did I mention a cutscene? Yes I did!

Music: Ceremony

Jillia: Yes....... I will have him as my husband.
Agares: In that case.... you have my permission.
Soldier: Princess Jillia, this way please..... The 'Knight Oath' is something between the Knight, his King and a witness only.
Jillia: Yes..........
Luca: Ha...............
Agares: I hereby recognize you, Jowy Atreides, as a Knight in service of the Highland Kingdom.
Jowy: I, Jowy Atreides swear eternal fealty to King Agares Blight of Highland and I seal this oath with my blood.

Better than your apostrophe placement.

Jowy cuts his hand, and squeezes a bit of his blood into the chalice.

This is a weird ceremony.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:55 am

Agares: Uh... what... the.....
Page: Call the King's physician!!!

Agares: You..... this is poison............ S... so you were planning..... But.... but how......
Luca: Yes, it was difficult. You're a hard man to reach. You don't take even a sip of water without having it tasted first. But now I've finally managed to rid myself of the last weight around my neck.
Agares: Y.... you would...... kill your father..... with your.... own hands...............?
Luca: Ha!!! You old fool!!! How dare you call yourself 'father'? You couldn't protect your own wife! You're a coward who made peace with a country of dogs!!!
Agares: Wh.... what are you saying........
Luca: Who did nothing when my mother and I were callously dishonored!!! Who was trembling on the throne when we were finally saved by the imperial guards!!!!!!!!! This is your punishment, old man. Your sentence is death. All that remains is to wipe the unclean ones off this planet. This world must be cleansed....
Agares: S.... Stop it........ What about.... Sara......
Luca: You! You have no right to utter that name. Well done, Jowy Atreides. So... you were the last knight to swear allegiance to King Agares! Hoo hoo hoo ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

Luca: That was a brilliant idea. Drinking antitoxin daily and then poisoning your own blood....

Luca: It's useless........ His breathing should have already stopped.
Jillia: B... brother!!! You... you didn't!!!!!

When Luca was a lad of about seven or eight, the royal carriage was attacked by bandits looking for a quick buck. Agares fled, taking the imperial guard with him, leading to Luca and his mother the queen-consort Sara being taken captive by the bandits and held for ransom. Sara was raped by the bandits before being rescued by the royal guard, and that resulted in Jillia's birth.

And when it turns out Mayor Darrell of Muse was the one who hired the bandits in the first place, well, you can kind of understand why Luca wants to burn the entire City-State coalition to the ground and salt the earth.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:02 pm

In case that was too dramatic for you, back at the castle the first thing we see upon waking up is one of those weird-ass flying squirrels as comic relief.

Shu: Apple, explain the situation.
Apple: The Highland Army has left South Window and is headed for our castle. It looks like a frontal assault like before.
Flik: He's a one-trick pony.
Shu: We'll leave half of our army behind. Lord Muteiu will lead this as our main unit. The other half will be divided into 4 units led by Viktor, Flik, Tsai and Camus. They'll line up on the left and right sides. When Kiba is right between them, they'll fan out and surround him.
Camus: If Kiba ignores the ambush and thrusts his way in, will we be able to stop him with our smaller numbers?
Shu: Kiba and his son won't be able to defeat my plan.
Viktor: You're pretty confident. You've never miscalculated before?
Shu: The explanation is finished. Lord Muteiu, if all is ready, please give the signal to deploy.

Klaus sees through Shu's plan instantly. Kiba decides the best strategy is to strike straight for Muteiu, exactly as everyone feared.

Again, Rowd is nearby for moral support.

Bafflingly, Shu gives the order to reveal the ambush before Kiba's soldiers are within its grasp.

:whoops:

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Kiba's a hoss, too. With Defense value of 16, it's nearly impossible to land a solid hit on him. Did I mention his special ability is Heavy Armor, meaning you have to land three hits instead of two before he's removed from the fight?

Okay, that helps.

...that doesn't. Klaus has Evade, so sometimes Kiba's unit acts with defense 32. 16 was bad enough, 32 is virtually invincible!

When suddenly...!

Clearly you didn't expect a DOUBLE AMBUSH. The first battle where Ridley routed in plain sight was just a setup for this one, the ambush in this battle just to get Kiba and Klaus suicidally overconfident to walk into the real trap disguised by the obvious trap. Shu really had it all planned out.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:10 pm

Another unit appears next to Rowd.

His soldiers are a bit confused by the new command, since it, uh... leaves Kiba out to dry.

Rowd retreats!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:21 pm

Viktor: You were good. I was worried up until the end.
Kiba: You haven't earned the right to call me by my name, boy. Kill me and be done with it.
Shu: General Kiba is a great general, and his son, Klaus, is a military genius. Lord Muteiu, I suggest you free them and accept them as our allies.

You couldn't give the order to kill them if you tried, they're still story-important. So invite 'em in already.

Shu: What? Read it.
Soldier: Y, yes. 'King Luca sends you this present in honor of your bravery. We look forward to the next battle. Signed Leon Silverburg.' That's all it says.
Shu: Klaus, what do you make of that message?
Klaus: Ugg................... K, King Agares has been...... murdered by.......... Prince Luca...........
Kiba: W, what!!! Klaus!!! Don't be so careless.....

Well, he's right. Luca sent Kiba and Klaus to fight at Vania Castle while he murdered the king. He then pulled out their support under Rowd so they'd be captured, and presented the two of them as a sardonic gift to the KISS Army. With the king dead Luca is crown prince, and the general loyal to Agares has been disposed of. No one stands in Luca's way now.

Klaus: The engagement of Lady Jillia.... the death of Lord Agares........ The changes in the 4th Company.... That's all I can think about.
Shu: Luca Blight doesn't want a victory for the Kingdom. he wants to take the life of every citizen of the City-State. But it's not just the State that has reason to fear. Luca's ambition could destroy Highland as well!
Klaus: Father.
Kiba: ........I understand. Lord Muteiu. It is a warrior's shame to change masters, but I'll take that shame. Please let me fight alongside you.
Klaus: Lord Muteiu. It seems I was no match for you. My genius alone was not enough to defeat you and your impressive collection of warriors. But from this day forward, I am yours to command. Please use my humble skills as you see best.

Heh, Japanese social decorum. "I'm basically an unstoppable genius, please use my humble skills..."

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:27 pm

Well, that's over with. Let's all have a feast to celebr--

There sure are a lot of these, huh?

Ryuki's pizza bun puts him off to a poor start.

Hai Yo's tempura fares only a little better.

Ryuki's gratin is okay.

Hai Yo breaks out Bashok's fried rice recipe, adding a little spice for his own twist on it. It's still not very good.

Ryuki's salty omelet gets the game's first score of zero. Luc is the harshest judge on the panel, but it's Kinnison who's retching and spitting his food out.

The cheesecake is a bit of a Hail Mary, but it seems to have worked out okay.

Man, Ryuki didn't even break 20 points. That's rough. Ryuki commits suicide out of shame from his defeat, leaving behind a pile of regrets and his gratin recipe.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:48 pm

At the front gate, a young woman storms onto the castle grounds in pursuit of... some lech, I guess.

...behind that tree?

Oh hey, it's that guy.

Shu gives Viktor the Luigi Death Glare.

Shu: ...you must take every precaution to ensure your safety. The army would collapse without your leadership. That said, let's move on to today's briefing. Please begin, Apple.
Apple: The KISS Army now commands nearly 25,000 soldiers, which is roughly equal to the size of each Highland Army company. The Highland Army has 4 companies, of which the 1st, 3rd, and 4th are deployed against us. Kiba's 3rd company lost 2/3 of its forces in yesterday's battle, but the remaining companies could easily overwhelm this castle.
Flik: If we are to survive their attack, it is imperative that we bolster our own forces.
Fitcher: Tinto is fortifying its borders, but won't reveal its intentions. We've sent a number of messengers, but hae received no response.
Viktor: Greenhill is under Highland control, Matilda hasn't changed its position and Tinto is ignoring us........ There's no other allies to turn to.... This could be the end.
Ridley: We're running out of time. King Luca Blight will order the attack as soon as he gets back to the front line.
Sheena: Looks like you need to ask my old man for help.
Apple: Who the hell..!?

Ridley: Who are you!?
Sheena: Well, let's just say that I'm an 'old friend' of Apple's.
Apple: How... How dare you presume to say such a thing!
Sheena: Ha ha ha! Still playin' hard to get, eh Apple.
Ridley: We're in the middle of an important meeting. You and she can reminisce when we're finished. Now please leave immediately.
Sheena: Hey, hold on a minute! Listen to what I have to say... My father...
Apple: Ridley, please wait a moment.
Ridley: This is serious business. We hardly need the help of some tresspassing punk's 'old man'.
Sheena: Now wait a minute! Get your hands off me! My dad's the president of the Toran Republic!
Ridley: Yeah, right.
Apple: No, please wait. That part is true... He really is President Lepant's son.

heh.

Sheena: See, I told you! Hey, Flik, Viktor, how's it going?
Chaco: What's the Toran Republic...?
Ridley: It's a new country south of the City-State, established after the State's perpetual enemy, the Scarlet Moon Empire, was overthrown and Emperor Barbarossa was killed. Their first president is a man named Lepant, although I heard that it was McDohl, the hero who vanquished Barbarossa, who was expected to take the throne.

Pretty sure proper 'Republics' don't have thrones.

Shu: Hmmm... Allying with the Toran Republic certainly isn't a bad idea.
Freedy: It's a terrible idea! The Scarlet Moon Empire may have changed its name, but they're still an enemy of the State! How can you think of cooperating with such a vile nation?
Sheena: That's why the Scarlet Moon Empire was destroyed, and the Toran Republic was created.
Shu: It's a totally different country now, the same way that our KISS Army is independent of the City-State's army.

Exactly like that, actually.

Shu: There's no reason not to form an alliance. What do you think, Lord Muteiu?
Muteiu: Let's form an alliance.
Sheena: I think it's a great idea. But how are we going to get to Toran? We took a boat to Highland, but there's no way to cross the badlands to the south of here. It just can't be done.
Viktor: Is that right? I crossed them three times.

Once from North Window to Gregminster to start off the events of the first game, then he killed Neclord and returned to North Window, then returned to Toran again to finish of the Gate Rune War, then moved to western Muse to start off the events of this game. He's been back and forth four times, but I suppose the last one he didn't need to cross these supposed "badlands".

Since the world maps of each game include the same barrier wall between South Window and Moravia, I don't know what badlands he's talking about in the first place. Moravia's mostly a desert, and there wasn't much to see in the last game since the area was a major victim of end-of-development rush, but it should be a matter of heading through South Window, through a checkpoint in the wall, walking through Moravia, and hopping a boat over to the other side of Lake Toran.

And taking a boat to Highland? What are you even talking about anymore, Sheena?

Shu: Freed, surely you know a way?
Freedy: Well, yes... I suppose you can get to the Toran Republic from Radat, the town just east of South Window.
Sheena: It's settled then.
Freedy: Sorry, I can't do it.
Shu: Oh, get over it! You can't live in the past forever. Without their help, South Window itself could be destroyed!

Dude Shu who gives a crap what Freedy thinks? It's not like we want him to join the excursion party into Toran or anythi--

DAMMIT SHU

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:07 pm

nosimpleway wrote:I can't be mad at them for it, though. Fried rice is pretty great.

I actually forgot to start preparing the rice I was planning to fry up later tonight when I read this, so thanks for reminding me of this fact.

Operation: Hide Behind the Doggies

...thanks rescinded I hate you now.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:23 pm

So, recruit rundown. For all that plot I didn't pick up very many new people, so this'll be comparatively quick.

Name: Jeane
Position: Magic Unit
Note: None
  • Sorry, but she's a tough lady. Couldn't get past her guard....
  • Ugh..... I think... I think I'm in love... I'm sorry
  • I, I, I can't say anything.. F, forgive me.... This...this is all I can say... I.....I'm sorry....

Jeane can join army units, giving them a special Lightning attack. It can be used once to zap a unit within a four-panel radius to do damage to it -- it's what I hit Kiba with in the screenshot where I was talking about how tough he is.

---

Name: Viki
Position: Magic Unit
Note: Watch out for her teleport!
  • It looks like this chick isn't even from this continent. I think she only wound up here cause of one of her crazy teleport mistakes.
  • Could it be teleport shock? She said that just before she came here, she was celebrating the birth of the Toran Republic. But that was 3 years ago.
  • She was talking in her sleep, I guess. What the hell could "Waffu" mean anyway?...

Viki can join tactical parties but not groups in wartime, the opposite of Jeane. She's got decent dedicated-mage stat growth and great Luck but no rune affinities at all. Her signature Blinking Rune gives her some unusual magic capable of teleporting foes out of battle entirely... but sometimes it misfires and teleports away all her allies instead, leaving poor Viki helplessly alone in a fight with slavering monsters.

And I have no idea what "waffu" refers to.

---

Name: Camus
Position: Cavalry Captain
Note: Former member of Red Knights of Matilda
  • I heard that if he fights together with Miklotav, they can do a 'Knight Attack'.
  • He's originally from the Grasslands, but he moved to Matilda when he was young and took the test to become a knight. He and Miklotov became knights on the same day.
  • He's got rough manners, but he's a knight all the way. That guy is as tough as nails.

Camus and Miklotov fill the same role as Alen and Grenseal from the first game. Camus has the Rage Rune and better physical stats.
Camus is an infantry unit leader in army battles, with a base attack/defense of 9/8 and the cavalry ability.
Camus can Unite with Miklotov for the Knight Attack, which doubles damage to an enemy and might unbalance one or both of them.

---

Name: Miklotov
Position: Cavalry Captain
Note: Former Captain of the Blue Knights of Matilda.
  • This guy's got 'Cavalry Ability', so during a battle sequence, any unit you put him in will become a cavalry unit.
  • He's the type of guy that says whatever is on his mind. That's why he doesn't fare too will in the lady's department.
  • He wakes up early every morning and trains for 2 hours before breakfast. That's why his 'Blue Knights' were such great fighters. Poor guys.

Miklotov is the Grenseal to Camus' Alen, carrying the Thunder R-- what the?! No, Miklotov has poor magic stats and carries a Knight rune, giving him the ability to soak hits for allies (although oddly, he's got better Fire affinity than Camus does).
In army battles, Miklotov commands another infantry unit, with attack/defense of 8/9 and the Cavalry ability.
Camus, Miklotov, and Flik can all band together for the Fancy Lad Attack, doing half again as much damage to one enemy and a small chance of killing the target outright. If one of them is equipped with an Invincible Smile, the attack improves to double combined damage and the chance of instant death goes up.

---

Name: Kiba
Position: General
Note: Former General of Highland's 3rd Army
  • Sounds like although General Kiba had a high position in the military, he wasn't very well compensated if ya know what I mean.
  • General Kiba's first battle was for the defense of Fort Retto. He led a small force of 100 men and managed to repulse 3,000 hardened State veterans.
  • He swore fealty to Agares Blight, but when Agares was killed by his son, Lucas, he came to us. He's a pretty complex guy.

Kiba leads another infantry unit with base attack/defense of 7/12. He has both the Cavalry and Heavy Armor abilities, too.

---

Name: Klaus
Position: Vice-Strategist
Note: Former strategist of the Highland 3rd Army
  • Klaus's 'Evade' ability gives his unit a good chance of avoiding an attack.
  • It looks like Klaus takes after his mother for the time being. But ya never know. Maybe when he gets a little older, he'll become more like his dad....
  • He's worried that his dad drinks so much, he'll ruin his liver.

Klaus is too frail to fight in tactical battles, but putting him in an army unit grants his company +3 Defense and the Evade ability.

---

I've got Sheena and Freedy taking up two front-line positions in my party with their general suckitude although Sheena eventually gets over his, but I'm not going to put up a vote for the rest of the party to go into Toran. There's a more important and sorta-kinda spoilery I guess option to choose. Once we get to Toran, one of the veterans of the Gate Rune Wars will join us as an emissary. We have a choice between the master swordswoman Valeria or the skillfull ninja Kasumi. Who do we take?

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:33 pm

nosimpleway wrote:Image

Nevermind McDohl; THIS is the biggest "Oh fuck" carryover from the first game to the second. This right here is a statement of intent: not only are characters from the first game showing back up in this one, but not all of them are going to be fighting on the same side.

Leon as adversary is pretty terrifying, and the conflict between him and Shu is one of my favorite elements of the game.

nosimpleway wrote:We have a choice between the master swordswoman Valeria or the skillfull ninja Kasumi. Who do we take?

I usually take Kasumi because she allows you to access a certain area of the game earlier than Valeria does, but I never used either of them very much.