Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nosimpleway

Re: Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:52 pm

Leon: Well if it isn't little Shu... How many years has it been since I gave your ears a good pinning back....
Shu: I forget. To me, it's ancient history.
Leon: You little brat..... But anyway, you forgot the rule #1 in 'the book': Don't put yourself in danger...
Shu: I had to throw away 'the book'. You read it too many times.....
Leon: What's that supposed to mean...

It's a poor translation. Shu sounds like he's just calling Leon a hidebound old fart who can't improvise outside of established effective strategies. It's the opposite: Shu is admitting that Leon is straight-up better than he is, and Shu has to resort to unorthodox methods to even have a chance.

Shu: Well, sometimes even a futile gesture can be worth something... That's what my friend, Apple, taught me.
Leon: I'm not impressed....... Listen to me, punk. History doesn't flow! It moves... in leaps and fits! Sometimes it has to be pushed along by men like us. If a bit of suffering is the price we must pay, then pay it I will!!!
Shu: Are you saying that's why you helped destroy the Scarlet Moon Empire, and why you're helping Highland now?
Leon: This country needs the firm hand of the Highland Kingdom to guide it through the Sea of History. Just like you!!!! You disgust me! You had talent, but you used it wastefully. To me, you're the very definition of garbage!!!
Shu: Unlike you, I don't think I'm some kind of god to use people like pawns!!!!

But before Shu can finish that with the appropriate "...anymore!", his self-baited deathtrap interrupts the conversation with a collapsing tree.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:54 pm

The reason you had the meeting of the 108 stars and the unlock for the last spell on the Bright Shield rune before the invasion of Matilda was so the game could start killing off as many characters as it wanted before you made it to the final dungeon.

...but not this time. The drama (and Apple's complete emotional breakdown) is somewhat spoiled by Viktor going into the inferno to save Shu's life.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:04 pm

If you've been paying close attention, the KISS Army has been up against the first, third, and fourth contingents of the Highland Army, under various generals and mercenary leadership. They've never engaged the 2nd Division, because that belongs to Genkaku's former best friend and duel rival, Hal Han Cunningham, and they're the guard set at home base.

Gatto yatte chutto sutte~

There's the usual trash talk before the battle, of course. Han leads the flagbearer unit, and he's attack/defense 12/16. Culgan is the only bow unit, at 12/14. Seed is a cavalry at 15/12, and Yuber is on point defense at the city gate with his 16/12. Outside the city is Lucia's tribe, with her unit at 12/12 and some nameless mooks at 10/3. The two units of Highland infantry are 7/4.

The only real challenge here is going to be Yuber, like usual...

Never mind!

Since they're on defense, none of the Highland Army ever moves from where they are.

Where they are is all grouped together in a big bunch.

It's a pretty simple matter of softening up all the infantry with bows and magic where they can't counterattack.

Moving a unit into the city is how to win. So when I said back at the beginning that sometimes Templeton would be useful for that kind of victory condition, this turned out to be the only time that would be the case, and it's easy enough as it is. Oh well.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:15 pm

You'd think so!

In typical conservation of detail, there are only a handful of landmarks in Highland. One is the Muse border. One is Tenzan Pass, leading to Kyaro village. One is the capital of L'Renouille, a name chosen specifically to sound "foreign".

And last is this tiny backwater village near the Harmonia border, where there's...

um...

Oh crap, I forgot one.

Back to Muse real quick.

Clive: Will you tell me why you did it?
Elza: Did what? What are you talking about?
Clive: You couldn't have.... a knight-class gunner couldn't miss their target.
Elza: That's what you wanted to ask?
Clive: No, I.... I'll only ask once more. Why did you kill my brother?
Elza: Brother? You grew up in the Guild together, but 'brother'? You're a nice man, Clive. Maybe if Kelley had been even half as nice to me, I wouldn't have done what I did. I started to hate the Guild... hate all those people who lusted for power... That place could turn an angel into a devil. You guys grew up in that filthy courtyard...... You got involved with those guns and those Guild rules... But I put an end to all that, with my friends Moon and Star.

Those aren't new characters. "Mond" and "Stern" are the names of the two pistols Elza carries, and they're the German words for "Moon" and "Star". A translation flub again, probably.

Clive: So why didn't you kill me back then too!!!! Try and see if you can do it now! You witch!!!!
Elza: Clive, enough already. You don't owe the Guild anything.

He's probably a werewolf anyway.

Clive: You already took my brother away. I won't let you destroy the only thing I have left in this world. Now is the time for me to execute your sentence.
Elza: Storm......

Clive pulls the trigger several times, each time resulting in only an impotent click.

And she's off again.

...and last is this tiny backwater village near the Harmonia border, where...

...this long sidequest comes to an end.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:22 pm

Clive: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fine...... It looks like Storm won't shoot you.

Elza: Protection and Assasination, the 2 faces of the Howling Voice Guild. Choose the one you prefer.

Misspell of "assassination" hers, not mine.

Elza: Impatient, eh... Don't you want to stay in this world a little longer?
Clive: That's not necessary.

Elza and Clive begin alternating lines, each time raising their hands up to aim at their target.

Clive: Howling Voice, flash of thunder from the gods!
Elza: Cursed Voice that separates Life from Death!
Clive: Right here, right now, these Guns want to shed blood.
Elza: They want to feast on souls!
Clive: Listen you cursed Guns!
Elza: We are it!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:31 pm

Elza: The day I shot Kelley..... It was me who should have died... Died with pride as a Gunner.... That's why, boy.... That's why I've got more regrets than I care to count.....
Clive: What.....?
Elza: Clive.... this place... this village.... This is where I was born..... My father, my mother, our house..... They're all gone... Nobody who even remembers them... But even so, this is the place where my heart always returns.
Clive: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Elza: Poor Clive..... He was born in the Guild, raised in the Guild... Pretty sad, don't you think, boy? And then.... he lost Kelley...... Give him Storm......

That should be "Give me Storm"

Because that's what Clive does.

Elza: The Guild chose Kelley to inherit this Gun, not me... But then Storm itself chose me... The Guild could not go against the wishes of Storm, and the only way to settle it was with a duel.. Stern and Mond were the guns prepared for the day of the duel. And just like today, only Stern was loaded with bullets. Kelley knew that... and so, he chose Mond.....
Clive: The Guild... those fools...
Elza: I deeply regretted it...... Shooting Kelley..... And then running away from the Guild.... Thank you.... Clive.... Now, my soul can return home....
Clive: Elza........
Elza: Ha... Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!! You're too soft, boy..... You didn't really believe that sob story, did you.....
Clive: What do you....

Elza fires a single shot from Mond harmlessly into the air, before the last of her strength gives out and her arm goes limp.

Elza: Go back to the guild, boy.... It's the only place for you.... I won't steal that from you... Clive... take care of Storm.... You're its keeper now.. Farewell..... forever... Farewell, gunslinger.....
Clive: N... No.... NO!!!! Elza!!! Elza!!!!!!

But not yet, because he learned a few harsh truths today, and needs some time to mull them over.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:34 pm

I'm still not quite ready for the final dungeon; there's still a bit more item-collecting to be done. But it's too boring to bother screencapping, so it may be a little while before the next LP update. Anyway, Sajah only has an item shop, but the Rare Finds there are a big deal. Such as this Golden Hammer, allowing Tessai to sharpen weapons to their highest level.

I've also discovered that the Eagle Men in Kobold Forest can still drop the runes I want, but only if I don't use the Hunter Rune on them. I don't get it either. Since the Double-Strike rune you get for free in the Tinto Mines seems to have vanished from my party inventory, this is good news.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:41 pm

After much time spent waiting and grinding for other things I have decided that the Rare Finds system is dumb, and I'm hacking the runes I want into my inventory instead of waiting for hours of real time for the chance that they spawn in a place I can get them.

Anyway, Lucia is back again, waiting for us as soon as we enter the castle at L'Renaissance. Her hit points have changed but her tactics have not, so I'm skipping the long, dull battle entirely.

Teresa shows up to talk Lucia out of working for the Highland army... after we've already beaten her.

Even going so far as to turn her back on Lucia and allow Lucia the chance to stab her in the back.

For all the time the game spends on this subplot, it doesn't get resolved and it's never brought up again in Suikoden 3. So who cares?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:43 pm

L'Renoit

is

goddamned

chock-full

of pointless

easily won

scripted

encounters.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:48 pm

Han: Me and Genkaku...... All we managed to do was buy a little bit more time. What are you waiting for, son of Genkaku? If you're ready, come at me!

Han is actually pretty tough!

But it's still paper-rock-scissors with hints.

Han: Muteiu.......... I have to apologize to all of you. 25 years ago, Genkaku and I sealed our two runes..... The 'Bright Shield Rune' and the 'Black Sword Rune' were once One. In it's true form...... As the 'Rune of Beginning', it has the power to end war.... But.... in order to wield that power... you must first....

Leave it to a defeated JRPG antagonist to collapse instead of giving out vital information.

Muteiu shrugs and leaves Han's corpse to cool on the carpet.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:02 pm

You knew if you explored L'Renandstimpy long enough you'd find these two.

Although Seed drops a truthbomb that might rattle you a little.

So here's the thing. Pesmerga and Georg and Genshu and Shin are really good swordsmen, but all of them have the same drawback: only one rune slot. And in many cases, it's locked with a rune in place already.

Many characters eventually unlock all their rune slots, but have a rune permanently stuck in one or more of those slots. Mazus has all three, sure, but two of them are reserved for Blue Gate and Thunder. Millie and Siegfried have the same issue.

And then there are the characters who can unlock all three rune slots, and have each of them customizable. These are Rina, Gantetsu, Kahn, Sheena, Sid, Hai Yo, Killey, and I am reluctant to admit... Chaco. The best mage of the bunch is Killey, and he's only pretty good, so it may seem a little strange... until you start slapping on passive-effect runes instead.

The Double-Beat runes I've been using for the whole game, doubling a character's attack potential every turn, is a good start. Throw on Warrior Runes, which divide the user's Defense in half and adds that amount to their Attack instead. Then a Double-Strike rune increases their damage output by half, and a Fury rune by another third.

That's four runes, of course, but I've mixed and matched here. The back row, less likely to suffer in melee, have the ultimate Glass Cannon build of Warrior, Double-Strike, and Fury. Sheena has Warrior, Double-Beat, and Fury. Kahn actually kept his Resurrection rune, since I figure it might help out in a party where "I half my defense, and then multiply all my incoming damage by 50%" is the standard strategy.

Oh yeah, Sid has a Thunder Rune on his spear for another 50% damage boost in an electrical jolt, and Sheena's got a Rage Rune on his sword for the same 50% boost from a burst of fire. Killey's got the Friendship Rune, boosting his base attack (before the rune multipliers) by a significant sum.

But all five of them, mediocre-to-kinda-good on their own, now have the damage output of Georg or Pesmerga... while Georg and Pesmerga both have about forty levels' advantage. Here's Chaco doing almost 500 damage with a regular hit to Culgan.

And here's the aptly-named Killey critting for over 2000. (The number popup is 1000, but Killey hits twice with those dual shortswords.)

Surprise! The hot-headed and impulsive Seed has a healing and effect rune. Bet you thought his red-oni personality would belie a Rage Rune! (You're not entirely wrong, I'm pretty sure he has both.)

When I saw the Flowing rune icon I figured he was casting Mother Ocean, a full-revive spell, for Culgan. But nope.

That's Silent Lake, preventing all magic from being cast for the rest of the battle. It's like he wasn't even paying attention when I talked at length about how I built my tactical team of ultimate melee fighters!

His strategy ends predictably.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:16 pm

Jowy: . . . . . . . Pilika. Pilika... sweetie.... This is... where we say goodbye.
Pilika: Yeah. But you'll be back soon. Just like always, right?
Jowy: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Pilika.... This will probably be the last time you see me. It's goodbye forever.
Pilika: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . No...... No, No! No! I don't want you to go away! I don't wanna be alone!!!
Jowy: Pilika....... listen to me.... You're going to grow up and meet lots of people. And you're going to lose a lot of people too. So don't forget, Pilika. Enjoy the moments you have together, because nothing lasts forever. Okay?
Pilika: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jowy: Pilika. . . . . . . . .
Pilika: Okay..... I understand.... But, but, but can I ask just one favor?
Jowy: What is it, Pilika?
Pilika: Can you pick me up and hold me like my daddy used to? Just once, please.

Pilika: My daddy..... He used to hold me like this... Just... like... this.....
Jillia: You called?
Jowy: Come in.

Jowy: Seed and Culgan can buy us some time. But sooner or later, this castle's going to fall. When that happens, Highland will disappear. I want you to take Pilika and the two of you flee to Harmonia. I've prepared a nice home for you and Pilika there. I want you to live there, not as the Blight family, but under a new name. So you can she can have a new start.....
Jillia: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I will, my lord. So... is it really over?
Jowy: That's right. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jillia: In that case, farewell. Come here, Pilika honey....

Jillia: Why do you say that! Why are you apologizing?
Jowy: Jillia.....?
Jillia: You think I didn't know??? How you used me, what you did to my brother and father.... I knew all along!!!! But even then, even then I always loved you for your dreams, for your goals! Why do you apologize to me now? You don't need to say sorry. You're my husband and the man I will always love.
Jowy: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jillia: If I were to die.... would you shed tears for me?
Jowy: . . . . . . . . . Please live. . . . . . Jillia.

That's a good enough answer, as Jillia runs back to Jowy for a final farewell as the screen fades out.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:19 pm

Good thing Shu's selfdestructive strategy didn't actually cost him his life, because it sure didn't kill Leon.

Leon: Well, this is the end... 'The Beast Rune' that Luca Blight left... It's demonic incarnation is here. The demon that fed on the blood and souls of the Muse citizens... it's all I could do just to keep it sealed here... It was Luca's plan all along to unleash this beast on the world. This is your final test... Can you win this time, Muteiu?

One last blood sacrifice, and...

Rawr! Double-headed ghost wolves!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:30 pm

Music: Silver Wolf

Just as in the first game, the final boss is the incarnation of a true rune, with multiple body parts to target throughout the fight. One of them can revive other parts after they're defeated! Bet you can't guess which one that is! It's the right leg. I don't get it either.

The Rune is the first target, for two reasons. Mainly because it's the part that has a barrier erected around the Beast Rune's wolfy body, protecting them from damage.

Also because the two heads and the rune have a unite spell strong enough to knock the entire party from full health down into critical status.

It takes a turn to knock out the rune, but after that's done, full attack!

The beast rune's attacks are powerful, but nothing to worry about with Muteiu equipped with the Bright Shield and a Flowing rune.

The real problem I had is the left leg's status magic!

Sid ends up with the roleplay-appropriate Unfriendly status, but Killey and Muteiu are confused! Muteiu is set to attack every turn, rather than support the primary strikers with healing magic. Crap!

Kahn only has one healing spell in his Resurrection rune, but it saves me from a party wipe.

At least the beast rune can't revive itself anymore, so it's a battle of attrition. With the final boss.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:37 pm

Stop fucking doing that!

Yeah, that's right!

The heads can still fire lasers and throw giant exploding swords at us, though.

Finally Muteiu snaps out of his confusion, just in time to save everyone's lives.

Well, not Killey's. But everyone else feels a lot better!

The Bright Shield Rune recalls scenes from battles between different armies, in different times throughout history...

And unleashes all that pent-up power at the Beast Rune!

Remember, Forgiver Sign divides 2000 HP worth of healing to the party, then deals any of that HP not needed for healing as damage to the enemy. And we were all really messed up before that spell got cast.

But healing is all we needed. The beast rune doesn't have any physical attacks to strike at our partywide-shitty glass-cannon Defense, just blasts of magic that don't have any damage multipliers off our own equipment.

Perverted spoiled mama's boy for the win!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:42 pm

Yep. Jowy left his cloak on the throne, but he himself is nowhere to be seen.

With the Beast Rune defeated, there's a surge of architectural turbulence shaking the entire castle. Better run!

Run run!

Hurry hurry!

Everyone's super-excited to see Muteiu's safe return, but it's not like the castle actually collapsed or anything. The Beast Rune is canonically gone from Highland and MIA like the Sovereign Rune and other half of the Gate Rune, so that rumbling was probably just the Rune on its way out.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:54 pm

The next morning, there's nothing left to do but go to the conference room and see what the ending is like.

Oh yeah, the two surviving State leaders, Makai and Gustav, are here too. I guess Jess and Teresa count but they were part of the army all along, so their presence isn't at all surprising.

Gustav: Well, at least now there's one less enemy threatening City-State soil.
Teresa: But we still don't have true peace in these lands. Lord Muteiu, there is something we wish to ask of you. Lord Muteiu, There's still Harmonia to the north of here and so we can't yet completely relax. Furthermore, because there was no trust between us, Luca Blight was able to divide the City-State. We need a single, unified country. One that can stand together against its enemies. Lord Muteiu, We want you to create a new country here, Muteiu Country, and we want you to lead it.
Makai: This matter was voted on and approved by Two River's Three Houses of Parliament.
Gustav: If it means a stronger nation, able to defend itself, we have no objections either.
Miklotov: The Knightdom of Matilda is no more, but we will follow your orders in this matter, Lord Muteiu.
Camus: I feel the same way as Miklotov.
Jess: Most of the strength of Muse was stolen by Luca Blight, but we still haven't lost our pride as the center of the State. As acting mayor of Muse, I also intend to follow the will of Lord Muteiu.

In postgame Muse actually does pretty well, as they take back the lands originally granted to Matilda and annex the nation of Highland into the principality of Higheast.

So

What the hell, with that outpouring of support, I can't say no! I'll do it!

Awright! Suck it McDohl, I'll take the job you never had the guts to do!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:58 pm

Music: We Will Always Be, part 1

Muteiu convenes his own Hilltop Conference. Makai and Gustav share a station at the table, which is weird since Ridley represents the military branch of Two River but sits across from Makai instead of with him. Teresa and Shin are there for Greenhill; Camus and Miklotov for Matilda; and Fitcher, Hauser, and Jess for Muse... is Freedy there to represent South Window? I guess we never did get around to finding out who Granmeyer's replacement was.

There's plenty of office administration to do. Shu, Klaus, and Apple have graduated from military strategists to political advisers.

Ridley returns to Two River to train the military...

Teresa returns to Greenhill to train the new students.

But all in all, the victory seems empty somehow.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:01 pm

Music: We Will Always Be, part 2

The circus performers give one last show, with Annallee's group providing musical accompaniment.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:03 pm

Ridley does his best to drill the troops, but a couple of winghorde jokers at the back are fooling around. Hey, at least they're allowed to join up in the first place now.